R O U N D- 1 7

Breathe

Breathe.

Irene glanced at the flickering candle sitting by her window.

The tiny fire that ignited on it illuminated her enormous, dark, and empty room.

A thin trail of smoke danced above it.

Fire.

Irene tightly clenched the finger-nail of her thumb in her teeth.

She nervously eyed the candle's melted wax streaming down its surface and landing on the metallic tray underneath it like small white pearls.

She had to be comfortable.

With her legs covered in a warm fuzzy blanket, shielding her from the winter's dreadful screeching winds.

And her body wrapped in a black, cozy woolen garment, keeping her snuggled and heated.

Everything was enough to keep her comfortable.

Then why did she feel so anxious?

Irene's eyes shifted to the opened glass window behind the candle.

It was a terrible winter, one that had choked all the greens outside to death.

One that had brewed a snowstorm, causing the lifeless trees to be wrapped in an eternal white and to sway hysterically.

Her heart hammered brutally against her chest. The grip of her fingers on the white silk bed sheet underneath her tightened by every fleeting second.

She prayed and prayed with all her soul that the wild winter winds entering through the ajar window could put out the candle's flame.

Irene prayed that the miracles of this world would collide and embrace her for once.

She prayed that she didn't have to do the chore herself;

That she didn't have to be the one to blow out the candle's fire.

Because today out of all days,

She just couldn't.

Breathe Irene, just breathe.

She deeply inhaled through her nose; her eyes now faced the ceiling.

One.

Irene's eyelids gradually shut as she recited the numbers in her heart.

Two.

She held the air inside of her.

Three.

And then exhaled through her mouth.

Let it out, nice and slow.

Only to end up coughing violently.

Her breath hitched; it felt as if her lungs had clogged.