R O U N D - 6

Ella patted her head in a repeated motion as she crooked down to protect herself from any further blows

Ella patted her head in a repeated motion as she crooked down to protect herself from any further blows. The chariot she was currently traveling in was uncomfortably tiny, her skull thumped onto the chariot's solid wooden roof every time her ride faced a bump on the uneven road. The only ointment to her terrible headaches was the chauffeur's frequent apologetic nods and sheepish smiles.

Ella was hardly keeping herself on her toes, the whole situation was getting on her nerves; the scroll that was addressed to her house had crashed right through her window, it was an official invitation to the royal banquet she had to attend today.

The glass splinters of the window pane resulted in her entire living room looking like a complete wreck, hatching a new expenditure that Ella couldn't afford right now.

Maybe all the hospitality and courtesy are only meant for the royals and aristocrats in this town, the civilians were probably just trained to take all sorts of sticks and stones like iron shields.

"They could have just knocked nicely and handed me the invite like any normal person..." Ella muttered as she curved again to the impact of another strike on her already sore head.

Her anguish did not just conclude there, she had to fetch for a perfect outfit to make herself blend in, all nobles she'd meet there and that by far was the most exhausting. Not a single boutique in her rotten old town had abided by her wishes. The dresses were either too extravagant or too grisly, none were able to woo Ella down on her knees.

So, Ella ended up doing what she thought she only reserved for the most special of occasions, she ended up wearing her mother's navy blue wedding dress.

Ella took the entire afternoon standing in front of the mirror and applauding every trivial detail. She admired its simple form-fitting bodice yet embellished loose, full skirt. The strapless blouse complimented her broad and toned shoulders perfectly yet the delicate coal-black needlework of a lily on the fabric near her waist absorbed Ella the most.

The lilies were scarce in her Empire, few people heard of it and even fewer ever saw it. Ella smiled and lightly stroked the peculiar-looking flower adorned with sparkling gems. Of course, she too didn't know what lilies seemed like, but she always heard her mother sing praises of it so she could only assume.

Ella twirled around in front of the mirror, holding her ruffled skirt in one hand and her curly hair held up in a messy loose bun in the other.

To other girls riding a royal chariot and wearing a fancy satin ball gown, would make them lose their minds since maybe getting a dance with Prince charming could be on the list too.

But Ella, as she kept twisting round and round, she couldn't help but witness the reflection of a soldier, a warrior in her. The dress felt like her shatterproof armor, her guardian who was looking out for her at all times, and how couldn't it? It was her mother's after all.