3. Thicker Than Blood

As the Third Shinobi War waged on, we became stronger, smarter, and more knowledgeable about the outside world and our newly nicknamed, 'Village of the Bloody Mist.'

I was now nine, while my non-identical twin brothers were six years old. I was growing into a very shy and reserved girl, but got cheeky when someone rubbed me the wrong way. My hair was long and black, freckles appeared on my cheeks and my eyes sparkled with brown. Katsu was a lot like me, quiet and calm. However, he became more arrogant with the Mind Reading and Paralysis Ninjutsu orbs he was able to create. His eyes were onyx and he needed glasses to see things far away. Ryuu, on the other hand, was nothing like either of us (despite looking a lot like Katsu). He was kind, friendly, upbeat, optimistic and popular with the Haurutsuki people. He has my big, brown eyes though. Any girl near six years old giggled shyly as he walked by. It irked me being near him in public places, just as it did Katsu.

"How much longer are you going to stare out the window?" Katsu asked in a snotty tone one night. Our homes were just like the rest of the Hidden Mist Village, cylinder in shape, with vegetation growing out the sides of the mountain over the roofs. It was a warm night, and I was daydreaming of a life beyond the island while folding a piece of paper, "Wouldn't it be nice to just, I don't know... Explore, live, laugh, seek adventure?" I asked excitedly, revealing the paper swan I made in my hands.

"Not if we end up dead. I don't even know why you bother asking me. I already saw your thoughts with my orb." Katsu said, smugly holding up an orb that reflected what I was thinking. I abruptly held my head, causing the swan to fall to the floor, "Get out of my head, Katsu!" I demanded. Katsu chuckled before placing his hand on my forehead and pulling out the orb he had sneakily placed in the back of my head. "Your own fault for putting your guard down in a time of war." He pointed out before crushing the two orbs in his hand. The sound made a 'Tweegh!' As if a metal balloon had just popped. It immediately woke up our brother.

"Huh!? Wha-what's going on!?" Ryuu asked as he sat up from his bed, frantically looking around with tired eyes. "Nothing. Katsu's just being irritating. As usual." I glared from where I sat. "What did I do?" Katsu innocently shrugged. Ryuu yawned from his bed, "Katsu, Miyuki? What time is it?" he asked as he wiped his teary eyes. We shared many things, including a bedroom. It's not that our house was a small one. It's just that our parents insisted we share the one nearest to them. "Miyuki's daydreaming about running away again." Katsu complained. Ryuu looked over to me sitting at the window, "Miyuki, what's the matter? Is dad giving you a hard time with training again?" he asked in concern. Instead of replying, I looked to the window frame beneath my feet and clung tighter to my knees.

Ryuu sighed and got out his bed to wrap an arm around me. I stayed hiding in my knees. "There's no point in hiding, Miyuki. The longer I'm around someone's chakra, the easier it is to access their thoughts. Even if your chakra is a little stronger than mine." Katsu said, smugly folding his arms. I looked up at him with a frown and glare, before looking to the side, "Show off.'' I muttered. "Miyuki..." Ryuu whined. I whipped my head to glare at him, "What?" I drew out. "Don't listen to Katsu. I can't read your mind. So, tell me what's wrong." He insisted with a concerned look.

I sighed and looked to the wood beneath my feet before mumbling, "How long are we going to live like this?" I pouted. "Hmm?" Katsu raised an eyebrow with interest. "Live like what?" Ryuu inquired. "Like prisoners in our own home. Slaves to the island and our clan." Before I could bury my head in my knees again, Ryuu put his other arm on my nearer shoulder abruptly, causing me to look up at him. I stared at his face, examining his sympathetic smile... It moved me.

Katsu sighed and walked closer before sitting in front of me in the large window frame. He placed a limb hand on my knee. I snapped my head to suspiciously eye his attempt at affections. I could see the discomfort evident on his face, but he was sincerely trying this time. "I know it's hard..." Ryuu gently said. "I just want to be out there. To live my life and be happy. I want to be a part of the world and help shape it. Make it a better." I had never voiced my dreams before. Somehow, in that moment, they made it easy to. "I want to leave to meet people too. There's a whole world of them out there! And I want to make friends and battle and help everyone I can!" Ryuu said, pumped up with the idea of it already. "Me too." Katsu stated.