14. In the Dark Times

“You really think we can take the Mizukage’s word for it?” Miyuki asked as the trio walked down a passageway, their ANBU masks to the side of their heads. It had been on her mind for a while, and they were on their way to his office to receive their next mission. It had been five years since the Nine-Tails attack on the Hidden Leaf.

“Who knows… Judging by the lack of missions we’ve been receiving, and the missions most of Rakurai Division haven’t been receiving lately, it’s difficult to say.” Katsu shrugged. “What’s wrong with only getting missions every few weeks? It’s nice taking it easy every once in a while.” Ryuu interrupted as he stretched his arms out, over the back of his head. Miyuki gave him a pouted look. She was nearly 20-years-old now. Her non-identical twin brothers were 16. The twins had been promoted to Rakurai just under two years ago. Miyuki was now their Captain, and main oversight within the division. They had become the most elite ANBU Hunters within the Rakurai ranks, often leading their own separate squads. They spent their free time at Lee’s Place, and had plenty of it lately. It was beginning to unsettle the more work orientated pair, while Ryuu remained as optimistic as ever. “It’s been like this for months. Don’t you find it strange, Little Brother?” Katsu asked, glancing at him in the middle of the trio. “Look, if dad trusts the Mizukage, then I trust him too. And, so should you guys. Seriously, you two are way too suspicious of others.” Miyuki sunk her head at Ryuu’s response, “Urgh, how did you get promoted to ANBU Hunter again?” She complained, Katsu chuckling at Ryuu’s frowning response.

The trio arrived, kneeling before the young-looking Lord Yagura. “Rise.” He instructed. Yagura was not only the Fourth Mizukage, but the Jinchuriki of the Three-tailed Beast after Rin’s death. With no tolerance for traitors, he was deemed the strongest Shinobi in the Village at a young age. Even the trio's parents feared him. “I have an S-Rank mission for you all.” The three couldn’t help looking taken aback. “Rumours are circulating throughout my Blood Mist Village. They say the Kaguya Clan are planning a coup d'état against me. You are to investigate these accusations by infiltrating the Kaguya Clan compound. Gather information from the civilians in that said area. Understood?” He formally inquired. The three straightened up, “Hai!”

“Very good. Then I hereby appoint Miyuki Haurutsuki as Captain of this mission. Ryuu Haurutsuki, and Katsu Haurutsuki will act as your advisers for this assignment. It’s a rather large and taxing task, which is why you'll be commanding a large squad of both regular and Rakurai ANBU Operatives for this mission.” Lord Yagura said, raising a file to them. Miyuki walked up to him, bowing as she took it. “Report your findings directly to me. Mission failure or exposure is punishable by death.” And with that, the three accepted the mission and began preparing for it.

That night, at dinner, “So any exciting news from your meeting with the Mizukage today kids?” Their father asked. After the Third Great Shinobi War, Tadashi had lost the feeling in his left arm, and retired along with his wife, Shizu. Now they oversee the Rakurai and Haurutsuki Clan from home.

“Well, we got an S-Rank mission today.” Ryuu answered, pouring everyone tea. “Ha! At last, some action! I told you my nudge would work, didn’t I, Honey?” Shizu smiled, “Oh yes, dear. I knew it would.” The three deadpanned, “You did this, father?” Katsu gasped out. “Of course, I did. Why, I said: Lord Yagura, as Head of the Haurutsuki Clan and the Rakurai Special Forces, I must insist that you provide the more dangerous missions to our Clan. With Miyuki almost 21, she needs to be more active in leading such tasks, in order for her to be the next Head of your Rakurai ANBU Division. Ha! Isn’t that right, my darling?” Their father confidently explained. “That’s right, kids. Your father certainly worked wonders with Lord Fourth. You should be thanking him for all the effort we put into you three. In fact, we should celebrate!” Their mother beamed. Her head sunk low, and her brothers feared for next her response. She then got up and bowed, “Thank you for the meal, but I’d like to rest up before the mission.” She plainly stated. “Alright, my Princess. Go get enough sleep. I’ll see you in the morning to go over the Rakurai troops I’ll pick for you to brief on your new mission.” Tadashi said, after slurping his tea. She nodded, not meeting his eyes, and then left the room.