5. Infiltrating Kirigakure

*3RD PERSON'S POINT OF VIEW*

In the Hidden Leaf Village, the Third Hokage sat at his desk, smoking deeply through his pipe as he patiently waited for the arrival of one of his finest shinobi: The Yellow Flash.

"You asked to see me, Lord Third?" Minato said as he appeared, kneeling before his former Sensei. "Yes. With the Third Great Ninja War waging on, our Jonin and other high-ranked Shinobi are spread thinly across the Fire country and even beyond our borders. However, you and Kakashi are both Jonin on the same squad and even have a kunoichi capable of basic Medical Ninjutsu." Lord Hiruzen began. Minato raised his head to look up at the Hokage, "With all due respect, Lord Hokage. What are you implying?" Lord Hiruzen took another drape from his pipe before exhaling the smoke, "Your team is ideal for lengthy travel missions that require both infiltration and sabotage. However, their teamwork needs some serious refining before Kakashi takes over as team Captain."

As he continued, Minato gave a sharp nod in agreement and listened on, "I have an A-Rank mission for you and your team." Hiruzen said as he lifted a file. Minato's expression grew more serious as he raised from his knelt position to take the file. He placed it under his arm and wait for the Hokage to further explain.

"I've received intel from a reliable source that suggests the Hidden Cloud have teamed up with the Hidden Mist Village and acquired classified information on the opposing Shinobi Villages of this war. Including our own." Hiruzen said in all seriousness. "The Hidden Cloud, and Bloody Mist Village..." Minato wondered aloud. "This alliance could mean the end of the war, against our favour. Your team's objective will be to infiltrate the Land of Waves and prevent this said intel from falling into the wrong hands, more specifically, the Fourth Mizukage's hands." He explained. "We do not have enough intel to figure out how they are passing it, or when and to who. Which is why I will also dispatch more infiltration squads in the Hidden Cloud territory." Hiruzen continued. "I understand your reasonings for not utilising too many of our Shinobi forces for such a vague mission, but why dispatch only our team to the Hidden Mist territory while placing several near the Hidden Cloud? We know very little about both villages, and the Bloody Mist Village is notorious for their ruthlessness. Also, they have the ability to remain hidden until they reach their destination or attack their intended target." Minato said in slight concern.

"Indeed, but unlike the Hidden Cloud, the Hidden Mist Village has something known as the Neutral Grounds." Hiruzen replied. "Neutral Grounds?" Minato asked in slight confusion and curiosity. "Yes, the Neutral Grounds are what the Fourth Mizukage calls an act of mercy and kindness towards his civilians. When the village started going by the name of the Bloody Mist, and civil wars erupted from within it, many attempted to flee. The Mizukage noticed this, and he decreed that anyone attempting to escape the Village would be executed by ANBU Hunters." Hiruzen explained. "That's so cruel." Minato said.

Hiruzen nodded, "However, when more and more people were executed at the slightest foot in the door out the gates, the Hidden Mist population plummeted to a new all-time low. This is when the Neutral Grounds were created. It is a large area of open space and forestry in front of the main gates of the Village, where no guards or official Hidden Mist Shinobi are on duty. Anyone can step into it without the fear of being attacked under the Mizukage's orders. In his view, it gives his civilians a chance to rethink leaving the village before execution. In reality, it's a torture to the mind, knowing you are either walking to your death, or running back to your living hell." The Hokage grimly said. Minato grew tense just picturing it.

"Now it will become an opportunity to be utilised by the Hidden Leaf. You are to infiltrate the area, eliminate any threats in the way of your objective and survey the Neutral Grounds in its safety. Suspect any characters who enter or exit the village. The intel might be packaged in some sort of disguise. I want regular updates on the situation. This window of opportunity is the first step to ending this pointless war." Hiruzen finished. Minato gave a firm nod, "I won't let you down, Lord Hokage." He assured him. Hiruzen nodded in return and with that, their mission would soon begin.