8. Two Villages, One Territory

Meanwhile, some ways off to the side, in the thick of the mist, Ryuu had just narrowly avoided a gigantic fireball after his wind jutsu had only amplified its intensity. Ryuu sighed in relief before chuckling to himself, “Man, that was a close call.” He grinned. Obito wiped his mouth and panted heavily, before chuckling himself, “This kid’s fast.” He thought aloud. 

While Obito was panting and his clothes where worn for wear, Ryuu was still energetic and clean, bursting with a glee of childlike purity. “You know… If I didn’t use up all my chakra just then… I totally would be… winning right now.” Obito panted out. Ryuu chuckled as he rubbed his nose with the back of his finger, “Hehehe. Same here. All I can do now is use my swords.” He replied as he unsheathed both his blades. Obito smirked and drew out two kunais from his pouch, “Hn. Bring it on!” he grinned. “MIYUKI!” suddenly echoed through the area, and Ryuu immediately dropped his guard, “Katsu?” he questioned as he began looking around. Obito lowered his guard as well, ‘‘Hmm?’’ he wondered. Then suddenly, “AAH!” the two boys whipped their heads at the sound of a girl’s scream echoing through the fog. “Rin!” Obito panicked and abruptly dropped his kunais and began running towards where the scream came from. “Katsu! Miyuki!” Ryuu realized and sheathed his swords before dashing after Obito, hoping everything was alright.

It was after Rin had healed his side and moved on from his arm. The merchant did not want to be saved by Hidden Leaf girl, and had been silently cursing himself and the situation, still unable to move from the Paralysis Orb. 

Rin had no way of knowing why he wasn’t unable to move, but knew it wasn’t as a result of his wounds and had something to do with the bright green orb and mysterious boy that followed it before disappearing. Assuming it would last a while, she continued to heal him without restraining him. It was as she was finishing off healing his badly twisted ankle that they heard the shout from the near forest, “MIYUKI!” Rin turned to face the trees where it came from and stared at it in wonder for a moment. 

Little did she know that in that same moment, all of Katsu’s orb jutsus had come undone, from the ones he used to monitor and communicate with his siblings, to the one inside the merchant. The merchant immediately felt his body relax and caught on quickly. A smirk grew on his face. He used Rin’s momentary distraction to grab the kunai he had hidden under his sleeve. She then returned to finish healing his ankle. When she was satisfied she began to speak, “There. Now to just-” and that’s when the merchant abruptly sat up and attacked her!

‘It’s all over.’ Miyuki thought stunned and wide eyed as she stared at the gleaming kunai above the silver-haired boy. The mist was slowly fading, and her face was clear enough to see. Her hood completely off, revealing her big eyes, freckled face and slightly parted mouth. She laid underneath him, waiting to meet the end by his swift, descending kunai. But it never did. Kakashi sat on top of her, kunai in his hands above his head… Frozen. The look in his eyes changed. A moment ago, they were narrowed with the intent to kill, but now… Now they reflected her own hazel eyes. Shock dominating his usually blank, onyx stare. 

The two stayed like that for a while, just staring into each other’s widened eyes. Miyuki was the first one to dare to break the silence, “You’re hesitating… Why?” she asked in nostalgia. Her words made him flinch, ‘Just kill her.’ He told himself, tightening his grip on his kunai above him. She felt her body tense as she heard him squeeze the handle of his blade and stared in greater fear at the boy sitting on her stomach. Just then they heard the echo of a girl’s scream, “Aah!” and they whipped their heads to the side, from where it had resonated. “Rin.” Kakashi realized, and without a second thought, leapt off Miyuki’s stomach and ran away into the mist. 

She turned to her side and laid there, watching him leave. ‘What was that…’ she wondered. Then she remembered her brothers where in the same direction. She gasped and grunted as she got herself to her feet. And with that, she chased after the sound of the girl’s scream.