4 . Lee's Place

"All this time... We lived this close." I stared out at what was only a few kilometres away from the other side of the river. It was the first island of the 3rd caste, and the side entrance to the Village. We strolled through cautiously, taking in all our surroundings. "Where are all the guards?" Ryuu wondered as we walked through a quiet street of the first island.

I sighed, "Honestly, do you pay any attention in our classes with mom?" I asked rhetorically. "The Mizukage doesn't care much about the 3rd caste civilians. They get to run around freely without being reprimanded. Of course, if they try to run off, they'll be executed once they go beyond the Mercy Grounds on the outskirts of our Village." Katsu explained. "Mercy grounds?" Ryuu asked. "It's another word for the Neutral Grounds at the main entrance of the Village. All the guards are either deeper into the Village or out fighting the war. ANBU Hunters are lurking around though. Waiting for any runaways to go beyond the Neutral Ground Borders." I explained. "Oh... Then why don't we see anyone running around? It's only noon, right?" Ryuu inquired. We came to a stop at the realisation of his words. "You might actually be on to something there, little brother." Katsu said as we looked around. The houses were much like ours, cylinder with vegetations growing on the roofs. However, the streets were empty and the shops were closed. The mist only thickened the silence. It was a cold, snowy winter's day. "Where are all the kids? They should be playing outside while the elders play Piasho like our home." Ryuu said in concern.

"It's quiet..." Katsu thought aloud. I narrowed my eyes, "Too quiet. Katsu use your Scouting Orbs." He nodded and with that, he raised his hands to create two small bright green orbs from the palms of his hands. We watched as he manipulated the orbs into flying skyward. They parted ways, floating around the misty streets, travelling sneakily through the walls.

"Well, what do you see?" I asked impatiently as we watched him stand in place with a hand sign to his chin and closed eyes. He suddenly got a chill and snapped his eyes open, releasing his Jutsu. "They're all inside. It's like they're hiding from something." He explained. "What does that mean?" Ryuu asked, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion. Katsu rolled his eyes and pinched his nose, "Ugh... Idiot." He thought he had explained it well enough. "Katsu don't be rude. He can't help it that he's shorter than everyone." I said, patting his head teasingly. Ryuu frowned at me, but before he could counter me, a new voice was heard, "He- Help! Please, someone help me!" It echoed through the street, reaching our unsuspecting ears. I immediately went timid, "It sounds like an old man." Katsu concluded as I clung to his arm, "T-Then maybe we should get out of here." I stuttered. "Are you kidding? He needs our help! Come on, let's go rescue him!" Ryuu exclaimed before turning on his heel and dashing off. "Ryuu, no! It could be a trap!" I called out, letting go of Katsu to reach out to him in vain.

"Tch! He's fast, for a short stack." I muttered in frustration before mustering my nervous energy to follow him. "Miyuki! Don't leave me!" Katsu cried out desperately as I faded into the mist. "Then hurry up and follow us Katsu!" I shouted back, my voice echoing to reach his ears. He whimpered in fear, "C-coming!"

I arrived just as Ryuu had knelt to aid a weary, frail, old man, "Who could do such a thing to an innocent old man?" Ryuu frowned in frustration. I stood looking around and spotted the small, wooden wheelbarrow that had been splintered. The entire scene was covered in water, and I knew instinctively what had happened.

Ryuu helped the man, as Katsu ran up beside me. While he caught his breath, Ryuu managed to steady the old man to a seated position, "T-thank you, my boy. Eh! But I'm afraid it might be too late for me." He grunted out through his aching side. He was completely soaked in water, "Why would Water Ninjutsu Shinobi attack an old man?" I wondered aloud. "Thugs... Bandits! That's what they are! Tried to break into me Inn, Lee's Place, once. Heh... They think they can take what they want o-or break what I won't give 'em! I'd rather... rather... rather die... then..." he trailed off as he entered a daze. He was panting heavily. His breathing suddenly slowed. His shivers became a numbing feeling. "He's going into hypothermia. He's going to die..." Katsu frankly stated. Ryuu gasped in horror and gently began patting the old man's cheek, "Come on, stay with me."