Part 1 - "What happened to us?"

A/N: happy niley day! ❤️ I wrote this fan fiction years ago and never finished it but recently found it and decided to finish it and publish it for niley day. not sure how many people still read these but I hope I can bring a little bit of niley joy to those who do ☺️

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part 1 - "What happened to us?" 

Miley was packing her bags, preparing to head back to California after leaving three years ago. She had moved to Nashville after her and Demi had graduated college. Her roots were in Nashville, and after the stressful senior year she had, she knew no place would make her feel better than home.

Miley was heading back for one reason – Demi. A couple weeks ago, Demi had called her excitedly, informing her that she was engaged. Demi was over the moon and Miley soon followed when Demi asked her to be in her wedding. They had always stayed in touch, Demi regularly coming to visit Tennessee, so it wasn't a surprise that she wanted Miley there on her big day.

The ceremony was set for September. Miley had missed the California air, and decided that staying in California for the summer before the wedding was the perfect fix she needed. So, as the end of May rolled around, Miley prepared for a three-and-a-half-month vacation to the place she once called home.

She knocked on the tall white door on the morning of May 25th. It was only 11am, but she was already exhausted because of her 6am flight. She couldn't wait to lay down and take a nap.

The door opened and interrupted Miley's thoughts. "Miley! You're finally here!" Demi squealed in excitement, pulling her into a tight hug. "I have so much planned for us to do! I can't wait for you to see my dress and the venue and the cake and the—"

"Woah there, cowboy," Miley cut off, her southern accent still present. "You get me for three months; can a girl take a nap first?" she chuckled.

"Oh my gosh, yes! I'm sorry, Mi, I'm just so excited to finally see you!" Demi called for her fiancée, "Joe! Come here! Come help Miley with her suitcases!"

Miley could hear footsteps approaching from behind Demi and was soon engulfed in another hug. "It's good to see you again, Miles. California hasn't been the same without you here with us - we missed your shenanigans."

Miley smiled and relaxed into the familiar hug. Joe had become like an older brother figure to her. He was mature, but still goofy. Miley and Demi were glued at the hip since 6th grade, and the only thing separated them was when Demi met Joe their freshmen year of college. He complimented Demi's soft personality and he always watched out for both Demi and Miley. Miley was always grateful that Demi was able to find someone like him.

Joe took Miley's suitcases upstairs. He was amazed at how many bags one woman was able to pack – she packed three large suitcases and one small one to be exact. Miley thanked Joe for his help and told the pair that she would be recuperated and ready to party by dinnertime. She made her way to her room for the next three months and settled into the bed. She would deal with her suitcases later, but for now she was ready to rest. She snuggled into the soft white sheets and dozed off, unaware of her name being spoken of downstairs.

---------

"Does she know he's coming?"

"I haven't mentioned it to her but I'm assuming she does... he is your brother!" Demi said back to Joe. Joe was referring to Nick, his brother and best man for the wedding. Nick and Miley had some sort of complicated history. Nobody knew the whole story, but everyone knew there was unfinished business.