Part 8 - She was there.

A/N: This chapter is for mature audiences. Enjoy 😉

---------------------------------------

Part 8:

"Is she your new girlfriend?"

"No, mom, she's—she's just a friend of mine," Nick responded to his mother's question.

"She seemed like she was a little more than a friend to you back at the house."

"I really don't want to talk about my sex life with my mom."

"Fine," Denise paused. "Then tell me what's going on inside your head. I know you, Nick, and I know you don't go sleeping around with people you barely know. Last time this happened, it was after you and Miley broke up. So, start talking, sweetie."

Nick looked down at his lunch. His mom was right, he doesn't just go around and sleep with people. He had a "man-whore phase" during the first tour after everything happened with Miley, and it was only because he was trying to keep his mind off of her. "Miley was engaged, mom."

"I know."

Nick's head shot up at her confession. She knew about the engagement? He narrowed his eyes at her, "What do you mean you knew?"

Denise smiled sympathetically at her son. He had always been an emotional guy. "She called me the day after he proposed to her. She was home alone and felt guilty. She needed my reassurance, so I gave it to her."

"Reassurance about what?"

"Do you know how much that girl loved you, Nick? She would've crossed oceans for you. You had promised her that you'd marry her someday and she promised you back... she felt guilty for saying 'yes' to a guy that wasn't you." Denise put her hand over Nick's in a motherly way, trying to comfort him. "I told her not to feel guilty, she deserved to be happy."

"You told Miley that she should marry Liam?" Nick's mouth was parted slightly in shock.

Denise nodded her head. "Why didn't you tell me about it?"

"Nick, honey, it was just before the first tour ended. You were still so sad over her and I knew that if I would've told you, you would've gone right back to her and tried to take her away from him. I love Miley like a daughter, Nick, and she was happy. I couldn't take that away from her. And God forbid she would've said 'no' to you, it would've crushed you."

Nick was feeling a lot of emotions at one time. He was angry, he was upset, and he even felt a little betrayed. But he knew that his mother had good intentions in keeping the secret from him. He forced a smile and looked at his mom, "It's okay, mom."

After a couple moments of silence, the only sound heard being the chewing of food, Denise spoke up again. "You should talk to her, Nick."

Nick didn't look up from his plate. He knew who she was talking about, and he also knew that she was right. Denise was the only person Nick couldn't put up a fight with. He knew that she would always be right in the end, anyway. "I know."

------

Back at the house, Miley was trying to tidy up the house. She had finished the laundry and was vacuuming the carpet when two large arms swung around her, scaring her in the process.

"Nick?" She turned out quickly and then shut off the vacuum. With slight disappointment, she realized the arms belonged to Liam. Thank God the vacuum was still on and he didn't hear me.

"Hi angel. I knocked a few times at the door, but you must've not heard me over the sound of the vacuum, so I decided to just let myself in. Hope that's alright?" Liam asked her.