Chapter 1

Y/n's POV

Sniffling, I stuck a few sets of clothes in my backpack.
I hate him. I thought as I shoved my hygienic products into the bag.

Growing up, I loved tales of vampires.
Other kids at the orphanage had been scared of them, but they never failed to amaze me.

When I turned seven years old, I was adopted by Rookery. He told me tales of vampires.
Years later, he told me they were real.
That he was a hunter. He hated them, and I could never see why. I still couldn't. How could he hate such a unique creature?

Our earlier conversation kept replaying in my head.

~~~~~~~~~~
An hour earlier
6:57pm
Sunset

"Y/n, come here." A familiar voice said.

I obediently walked out of my bedroom to the living room.

"Yes, Rookery?" I asked, standing in the doorway.

It had been years since I called him father.

"We need to talk about your future."

Those were the words I had been dreading.

"What about it?" I asked innocently, leaning against the doorframe.

"I want you to be a vampire hunter." He said, putting a crossbow on the table.
It was loaded with a wooden stake.

"I don't want to be." I said, frowning.

"You have no say in the matter. I'm your father and I decide what's best for you." He said sternly.

I approached him angrily.

"You are not my father." I growled, banging a fist on the table. He grabbed my wrist.

"You don't speak to me that way, young lady. You're going to be a vampire hunter whether you like it or not." His grip on my wrist tightened.

Tears streaming down my face, I reached out and slapped him across his cheek with my free hand.

"Don't touch me!" I shrieked, jerking my hand away.
I ran to my room, locking the door.

I heard the front door open and get slammed shut.

~~~~~~~~~~
Present Time
8:00 pm
Dark

Soon, my bag was packed. Rookery still wasn't back yet.
I slung the bag over my shoulder and shoved my small knife into my pocket, walking out my bedroom.

I entered the kitchen, grabbing a few snacks and drinks to stuff into my bag. Before my final departure, I paused, seeing a pad of paper and a pen on the table.
I picked up the pen and wrote on a slip of paper:

"Rookery. Don't look for me. I'm never coming back.
Yours truly, Y/n."

I smiled at my note, leaving it in the middle of the kitchen table so he'd see it. I checked the time before leaving, then walked out the house, never once turning around to look back at it.

There's vampire's that Rookery's been tracking for a while, yet hasn't been able to find. I thought as I walked through the trees. Maybe I'll be able to find them. They should live around here. Maybe I can help them.

Rookery had never allowed me to go with him on his vampire hunting missions. He didn't trust me not to mess everything up.

I smiled to myself. I knew a lot about vampires because of Rookery.
The sun had just set.
Vampires were most active at night.

What if I don't find any...? I thought, momentarily stopping. Think positive, Y/n! I began walking again. Let's find a place to sleep for now.

I ended up making a small teepee out of branches and leaves to sleep under for the night.

It was summer, so it wouldn't get horribly cold.