05

LEVEL FIVE : EMPATHY

THE MEMORY

UNIT : DREAM RUN

> it was donghyuck's high school. they knew, for he was so adamant on convincing them that he remembered, and that small memories were coming back to him the longer they walked the clean, empty halls.

"i still don't understand how these 'locations' work," chenle said quietly. "does the game just... choose them?"

"yeah. apparently, they chose hyuck's memory for this one," renjun responded, eyes curiously peeking into a nearby classroom. it was empty, but the tables were scattered about. "we're being watched, remember? they do things based on our reactions... that's what they want to see most: raw emotion, besides us fighting to the death."

the thought of people watching them brought chills down jisung's spine. what was this, the hunger games?

"so you're saying none of us attended your school?" jaemin suddenly asked as donghyuck told them about a memory in one of the classrooms.

"yes!"

"then why should we care?"

donghyuck huffed when jaemin pushed past him. he'd been rude ever since the beginning. what was his problem?!

"believe it or not," jeno was walking up beside hyuck now, watching jaemin trudge down the hall. "he's the complete opposite outside the game."

"what? so he's actually nice?"

jeno kept a straight face as flashes of his life returned to him. jaemin was present in all of them, along with a blurred face he could vaguely recognize. "too nice... sometimes, he was too nice."

DONGHYUCK GAINED INSIGHT (5MIN)

> "oh! sweet!" jeno exclaimed. he seemed to snap out of the daze he was in. "you got a boost!"

"what? what does insight do?" chenle asked.

"insight lets you see through walls," renjun explained. he looked at donghyuck expectantly. "it's like infrared vision, you can see whatever's living and breathing. you can also sense them without looking."

chenle gasped. "whoa... then hyuck, what do you see?"

at first, donghyuck didn't see anything—rather, he heard. the sound of ragged, animalistic breathing was heightened in his ears and he stopped behind the group and turned his head. chenle stopped with him.