AWAKE

SEOUL
AUGUST 2021

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

it had been seven months since the game. as soon as they reached civilization, they reported the events. a detective came back to tell them that no one in the facility had been found alive and they were presumably the only survivors. from autopsies, most victims died from lethal injections with no signs of struggle. no data could be recovered from any of the technology in the building, so anything related to the game was just imaginary to the police. with no easy way to get justice, the boys decided to move past it.

jungwoo's memory began to fade over time but doyoung could always remember it like it was yesterday, like a lucid dream he woke up from in a cold sweat. naturally, most of the "players" went on to receive therapy. all the faces they saw and the ones that were lost, they never failed to mourn.

doyoung placed a fresh white rose on the bakery window. he locked the doors and stepped back, eyes filled with warmth like the pastries he wouldn't be serving that day.

"it's been one year," he said aloud. "well... almost. but i have to go on a trip next month, so i can't be here. do you still remember when we met? you were so sad... imagine if you never came to the bakery. i would've prepared that cake for nothing..."

he laughed softly, then gazed towards the sky. "it's a relief we became friends. you're not here anymore, but it's okay, renjun... the bakery will always be here, and so will i. come visit anytime..."

"there you are! i thought you were going to be late..." jungwoo watched as doyoung took a seat across from him. "i heard this coffee shop is new, so thanks for joining me to try it out."

doyoung rolled his eyes. "i closed the bakery for the day, so it better be good."

they chatted about whatever came to mind for the next hour: hendery had decided to start going to school. the friends in university were doing well and taeil's career was taking off. donghyuck recently paid jungwoo to do his homework. taeyong and johnny were attending an event and had begged doyoung to bake macarons—the list went on, and it seemed like everyone was doing well.

knowing this, a thought occurred to doyoung.

"i have a question," he cleared his throat awkwardly. "about your... amnesia."

jungwoo paused, then nodded for him to proceed.

"have you ever forgotten a person? or a relationship?"

jungwoo appeared to be in reflection before responding. "well... i wouldn't know, would i?" he chuckled lightheartedly. "actually, i don't think i have. i may forget the memories, but... inside, i don't think my heart will ever forget the person. i could be looking at who i think is a stranger, but my subconscious would tell me differently." he paused, then looked at doyoung. "that being said, my heart won't ever forget you."

and that was the truth.

what felt like a minute passed before doyoung slammed his hand down on the table, startling jungwoo and a few other customers.

"dude," he cringed. "not in public."

"you just don't want to admit that we're besties for life."

doyoung scoffed before looking away and taking a sip of his drink. deep down, he agreed... but he would have to be elderly and on his death bed to ever admit it. jungwoo, who had an amused smile, started talking about something else. the aroma of hot beverages (despite a humid summer) was a comfort; the ringing bell of the entrance and people walking through, all with different stories. doyoung was so close to moving on completely that he barely thought about the game—but it's when the barista suddenly called out a name, that the memories came flooding.

"yangyang! your order is ready."

end.