Chapter 2

~~~

~~~

It was almost lunchtime by the time the Greenie bell rang. But once it did Jeff, Clint and Mariah shared a glance before nodding and started making their way over the box where the Greenie would arrive.

Once near the crowd, Mariah slipped her way through with ease, it was at times like this that Mariah was thankful for her short height, only being around 5'1 which she got teased for a lot in the beginning though the boy's soon learned that tiny meant mighty as she was always able to knock them down to her height.

She finally made it to the front of the crowd making her way towards Newt once she spotted him standing near Alby and Gally.

Newt glanced towards her flashing a smile towards her as she stood beside him.

Soon the box opened up and Mariah peaked her head over the edge finding a male with short brown hair though she couldn't really see his eyes since he was covering them, she figured he may have brown ones as well that matched his hair.

Mariah could hear some of the guys around her talking and laughing to each other making fun of the Greenie making her roll her eyes taking a step closer to Newt causing the male to glance at her and smile seeing the annoyance on her face that she tried hiding before turning back towards the Greenie.

Soon the boys opened the box up and Alby nodded his head towards Gally commanding "Go get him."

Gally smirked before he hopped down leaning in front of the Greenie "Day one, Greenie. Rise and shine." Gally roughly grabbed him before tossing him out of the box causing him to land hard on the grass below him.

Mariah smirked slightly while the boys around her laughed at him.

"Kid looks like a Slopper to me!"

Newt grabbed Mariah's hand as they walked closer to the Greenie looking down at him while he stared up at all of them in confusion and fear. Mariah would feel bad if the look on his face wasn't so amusing.

"I could use some help in the kitchen, Mariah isn't around all the time ya know!"

The Greenie looked around at everyone one last time before he panicked and swiftly got to his feet before taking off towards the Maze.

"Hey, we got a runner!"

"Yeah, look at him go!"

Mariah sighed turning towards Alby tilting her head "So, we just going to let him run or...?"

Alby sighed about to tell Mariah to run and get him since at the moment, she's the fasted at the Glade that they have. Though before he could get the command out they watched as the Greenie face planted causing Mariah to bust out laughing along with most of the other Gladers.

Newt smirked pulling Mariah closer to him noticing she was about to fall from laughter letting her lean on him as she laughed.

"Woah! Oh yeah!"