Chapter 25

~~~

~~~

Outside dust swirls in the night time air. The Glader's run up a steep hill that overlooked the huge compound.

"All right, come on. Keep going!"

Mariah ran up the hill struggling slightly to keep her balance and not to trip and tumble down the sand dune which would most defiantly get her caught.

"Come on, go! Go! We'll lose them in the storm!" Thomas yelled as the group continued to climb up the mountain of sand

The group soon finds a dune to hide behind hunkering down under it the group watched as the guards get closer.

"Everybody, go, go, go. Stay low. Stay low." Thomas commanded as the Glader's move on keeping low to avoid detection.

Newt's hand finds Mariah's making sure to get her close to him as they ran through the Scorch.

"I think we lost them!" Minho called out

"Where are we even going?" Mariah yelled before coughing as sand flew into her mouth

Teresa finds slanted windows and the group joins her as they found a broken one "Come on."

Mariah's eyes widen and she didn't hesitate to follow after the girl scared for her safety "Teresa!"

"Mariah, Teresa!"

"No, don't go in there!"

Mariah grabbed Teresa's hand and Teresa gripped back as they glanced around seeing that it was at least somewhat safe "Get down here!"

The boys join after the two girls with Newt quickly joining Mariah's side as Minho stood on the other side of Teresa with the other boys surrounding them.

Minho digs through his back before pulling out a flashlight turning it on.

Mariah's eyes followed along with the light from the flashlight seeing the piles upon piles of trash and debris.

"Where the hell are we?"

Mariah bit her lip looking around feeling as though she was being watched "Wish I knew..."

"We gotta go." Thomas commanded waving his hand gesturing for them to follow

"No."

"We gotta keep moving."

"Thomas stop!" Teresa exclaimed making both Minho and Thomas stop looking back at the girl "Tell me what's going on."

Thomas walks slowly up to Teresa as Mariah watched the two glancing between them "It's WICKED. It's WICKED. They lied to us. We never escaped. Me and Aris, we found bodies. Too many to count."

"What do you mean?" Minho asked

Mariah raised an eyebrow "Dead bodies?"

"No, but they weren't alive either." Thomas answered and noticing the confused looks he continued to elaborate "They had them strung up. With tubes coming out of them. They were- they were being drained."