Chapter 21

~~~

~~~

The group finally arrived at the place they were taking them. Thomas was still passed out with Minho trying to wake the boy up. Mariah had already been dragged away by Newt as they were told to run as the guards guided them towards a large building.

Mariah heard the sounds of screeching and gunshots echoing throughout the area but didn't dare look to see what was happening as she thinks she already had a clue.

As soldiers, open fire in the dark Mariah held onto Newt tightly as the two ran together with Mariah taking the lead slightly pulling Newt along making sure the boy doesn't fall behind.

Once inside with Thomas following right after them Mariah turns around watching as the heavy metal doors close behind them locking automatically. Mariah looked around the vast hanger gripping onto Newt's hand. The Gladers gawk at the soldiers and machinery that surrounded them.

~~~

Soon after that, the group was lead to an area where they were told they had to wait till someone came to get them. Lord knows how long the group was in there but after a while, the door finally opened revealing a man in a turtle neck sweater and leather jacket enters the room.

"You kids doing all right?" The man asked the group as they approached him "Sorry about all the fuss. We had ourselves a bit of a swarm."

Mariah narrowed her eyes at the man while Thomas speaks up "Who are you?"

"I'm the reason you're all still alive." The male responds making Mariah scoff quietly

"I don't like that answer..." Mariah muttered quietly with only Newt and Frypan hearing her. Frypan bit back a smile while Newt elbowed her slightly

"Not the time love," Newt said back quietly

"It's my intention to keep you that way. Now come with me. We'll get you kids squared away." The man walks away

The Gladers stare after him suspiciously

"I don't like him." Mariah said bluntly "Bitch is a cocky little shuckhead and for what?"

Frypan snorted at the girl's comment before the group follows after him.

"You can call me Mr. Janson. I run this place." Janson said making Mariah raise an unimpressed eyebrow, she didn't know what it was about this guy but he pissed her off without even speaking, just standing there made her mad and she didn't know why. Maybe, after all, that's happened she has some trust issues but it was only natural after all the stuff they had been through.

"For us it is a sanctuary, safe from the horrors of the outside world. You all should think of it as a way station. Kind of a home between homes. Watch yourselves. Welding sparks." Janson continued

"That means you're taking us home?" Thomas asked hopefully making Mariah tense, if he was sending them home, where in the hell was she going to go, she had no one.