Chapter 4

~~~

~~~

Newt smirked nudging her slightly before the Greenie said something ruining the nice little atmosphere "What if I want to be a runner?"

Mariah raised an eyebrow while Newt let out a chuckle "Have you listened to a word I just said? No... no one wants to be a runner. And besides, you got to get chosen."

Mariah stopped paying attention to the two watching as Gally and another Glader fight behind them, Mariah could almost tell what was about to happen and smirked just as Gally threw the guy he was fighting it the Greenie's back making him stumble forwards with Mariah catching him just before he fell to the ground.

Mariah pushed him back to his feet while Gally turned towards the Greenie

"Huh? What do you say, Greenie? Want to see what you're made of?"

Mariah turned towards Gally raising an eyebrow while he just glanced towards her giving a smirk

"Greenie! Greenie!" The Gladers around them began chanting catching the attention of even more who joined in

Mariah chuckled backing up along with Newt as the Gladers around them cheered

"Okay. All right. The rules are simple, Greenie. I try and push you out of the circle. You try and last more than five seconds." Gally told the Greenie

Mariah snickered along with most of the other Gladers before she called out "Take it easy on the Greenie, Gal!"

Gally turned around for a second flashing the girl a smirk before turning his attention back towards the Greenie "Ready?"

He nods and right as he does that Gally rushes towards him pushing him harshly making him fall into the crowd with a few boys catching him before pushing him back up into Gally who shoved the boy into the ground causing him to slam his head.

Mariah cringed wincing a bit from his fall

"Get up boy. Come on, Greenie. We're not done yet." Gally said as he bounced around on his feet getting himself pumped up.

"Stop calling me Greenie."

"Stop calling you that? What do you want to be called? Shank?"

Mariah snorted slightly at Gally's teasing.

"What do you think, boy? Mariah?"

"Shank! Shank! Shank!" The boys around her chanted

"Does he look like a shank?"

The Greenie rushed at Gally and the two wrestled around for a bit before pushed him to the ground harshly making Mariah cringe

"You know what? I think I've settled on Shank." Gally teased

Mariah smirked glancing at her right seeing Newt with his arm still around her shoulder before glancing to her left seeing Minho standing next to her making her blink wondering when the hell he got there. Minho must have felt her eyes on him cause he turned towards her and flashed a smirk before turning back towards the fight while Mariah shook her head before leaning it against Newt's side. She felt his grip around her tighten slightly but paid it no mind.