Chapter 19

~~~

~~~

Sometime next day after Mariah fell asleep Gally made sure some of his guys threw her into the pit knowing that if she was out in the Glade there was no way that the boys would believe his words over her own. And if the situation would be different he would be one of those boys that believed her word was law.

When Mariah awoke she found herself in the pit with Teresa awake next to her while Thomas was still passed out on the other side of her.

Looking up she spotted Newt staring down at her worriedly before relief floods his face as she woke up making eye contact with the male. He sent a small smile showing he was glad she was awake.

Mariah smiled back towards him before continuing to look around spotting Minho and Chuck. The two give her smiles seeing she was awake before they said they would expalin what would happen once Thomas awoke.

"Hey. Are you okay?" Mariah heard Teresa ask making her look towards her seeing her leaning over Thomas who was now awake.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Chuck asked Thomas angery from his sitting postion outside the pit.

Thomas sits up looking towards them before looking towards Mariah surpsied when he sees that she's in the pit with them "What happened?"

"Gally's taken control." Newt expained making Mariah's eyes widen as she realized that was why he threw her in the pit. "He said we had a choice. Either join him or get banished at sundown with you."

Minho nodded "And he took the sissy way out throwing Mariah in the pit before she had the chance to stop him."

Thomas let out a groan sitting up more turning towards them "And the others agreed to that?"

"Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all this has happened." Teresa told him

"Well, he's been right so far." Thomas mused making Mariah look towards him in shock along with the rest of the group

"What the hell are you talking about?" Mariah asked frowning her eyebrows as she looked at him

He glanced towards her "This place... it's not what we thought it was. It's not a prison; it's a test. It all started when we were kids. They'd give us these challenges. They were experimenting on us. And then people started disappearing. Every month, one after the other, like clockwork."

"Sending them up into the maze?" Newt questioned

"Yeah, but not all of us. In fact there's someone that's not even suppoused to be in the maze at all."

"What do you mean?"

"Guys I'm one of them." The group looks towards Thomas in confusion "The people who put you here, I worked with them. I-I watched you guys for years. The entire time you've been here, I... I was on the other side of it." Thomas locked eyes with Teresa "And so were you."