Chapter 20

~~~

~~~

In the maze, Mariah stayed beside Newt making sure he was fine with running and kept up. Thomas led the group through a towering corridor that Mariah recognized.

"Everybody, this way!"

Running with their weapons the group reached an open spacing passing a giant number 3 on the wall. Mariah looked around at the others making sure no one fell behind.

"Keep it up, guys. We're almost there!"

They approach the blade section of the labyrinth, passing through they come to a corner and Thomas slows to a stop with the others following behind him. The other's wait behind him as he peaks into the vast chamber. A Griever larks at the far end of the bridge.

"Is it a Griever?" Chuck asked

"Yeah," Thomas muttered in response

"Shit," Chuck muttered

Mariah glared towards him "Language!"

Newt tugged at her hand "Not the time love."

"You take this, Chuck." Minho hands over the device to Chuck "Stay behind us."

"It's okay. Just stick with me." Teresa reassured the kid making Mariah smiled

"I mean shit give the girl some rocks and I'm sure she could kill a few Griever's herself." Mariah joked giving a chuckle making the group look towards her in amusement at her way of lightening the situation a bit. Teresa smiled a bit towards her.

"Once we're through, it'll activate and the door will open. All right, we stay close, we stick together, we get through this. We get out now, or we die trying." Thomas said making Mariah smirk a bit spinning her knives around her fingers "Ready?"

The Gladers draw their weapons

"Here we go. Let's do this."

"All right, let's go!"

The Gladers charge across the bridge their weapons ready. The Griever takes notice and rushes at them head-on. The Gladers catch the beast on their spares pushing it towards the pit on their left. The eyeless beast snarls in protest not giving up that easy.

"Get up! Look out!"

"Again!"

"Push it!"

Thomas gets a gab at the creature's face and the Gladers duck beneath it's slashing tail.

"Watch the tail!"

It grabs one of them throwing him into the pit before stabbing the ground with its leg. Teresa hags the limb clean off. Though the beast knocks the key from Chuck's hand sending it flying. Chuck slides to the edge catching the key just as it falls. Below he spots another Griever climbing from the abyss. Teresa grabs his back before Mariah could make her way over there.