chapter four

The friends all sat in a booth with Eve and Aero, who Pop let in for Betty's sake. Aero sat in Eves's lap. Eve was in between Cheryl and Veronica. Betty and Jughead sat next to each other on the opposite side.
    "Mommy, when is daddy coming home?" Eve asked, looking up from Aero.
    Betty's breath hitched and she grabbed Jughead's leg, feeling her anxiety spike.
    "Do you want me to tell her?" He whispered in Betty's ear. She nodded. "Ronnie, can you please take Betty outside for a minute?"
    Veronica nodded, standing up and leading Betty out of the restaurant.
    "Jug, where's daddy?" Eve asked.
    "Sweetie, your daddy...had an accident."
    "Is he okay?"
    "No, angel...do you know about heaven?"
    "Yes, daddy used to tell me about how his mommy was in heaven with God and all of the angels."
    "Well, that's where your daddy is."
    "But why couldn't he stay here with me?" Eve asked, and tears filled her eyes.
    "I'm sorry, I just. I have to..." Cheryl jumped over Eve and ran into the bathroom, sobbing.
    Jughead moved over to where Eve was sitting and pulled her onto his lap. "Well, sometimes God needs good angels, and your daddy was a good person. God needed his help because your daddy saved people."
    "Auntie Ronnie saves people, why didn't she die?"
    "Well, god doesn't need her yet."
    "I want my daddy." Eve cried, burying her face in her arms on the table. "I miss him.
    " I know angel, everyone does. But your daddy would want you to be having fun right now. He wouldn't want you to be sad, would he?"
    "But then why is mommy sad, and auntie Cher, and auntie Ronnie."
    "I know it's hard angel, but if you trust god then you know that now nobody can hurt your daddy anymore."

That night

    "I heard what you said to Eve, about Jake. Thank you."
    "Any time."
    Betty smiled at the ground. They looked at each other and then back at the ground and silence filled the house.
    "It's true you know, Jake was a great guy."
    Betty turned to Jughead and kissed him. She climbed on his lap, still kissing him. She quickly pulled away and got off of him.
    "I have to...I. Good night." She said, running off to her room.
    Jughead blinked a few times, shocked, before sighing and walking off to his own room.