Chapter Six

"Hey, I'm going to take Betty out to the register. Her mom is letting her run it." Cheryl explained.
    Veronica and Jughead nodded, playing with Aero and Eve. Betty and Cheryl reached the register and sat silently in the register. Betty leafed through her mom's notes and old articles and Cheryl sighed, leaning on her fist. Betty and her made eye contact as the phone began to ring.
    "Hello?" Betty answered.
    "Hello, Mrs. Cooper. This is Doctor Curdle Jr. We think we have found your husband's body. Would you be able to come down and confirm this?"
    Betty couldn't breathe. She wanted to answer but her mouth couldn't form the words.
    "Mrs. Cooper?"
    "Um, yes. Sorry, I'll be right there."
    "What's going on?" Cheryl asked as Betty hung up.
    "We have to go to the morgue."
    They reached the morgue and Cheryl gripped Betty's hand tight in hers. They stood over a covered body and Doctor Curdle jr pulled back the sheet revealing her husband's dead body with a bullet hole in his head. His body had obviously been thrown around and mistreated. He had deep gashes in him and his eyes were still open. He looks as though he had been frozen. Betty gasped, turning on her heel and running out.
    "Is this him?" The doctor asked.
    "Yes, of course, it is. Where did you find his body?"
    "Sweetwater, coincidentally around the area your brother was found, Miss Blossom."
    "Up your ass."
    Cheryl ran out, finding Betty sobbing on the stairs.
    "This is my fault. If I had just asked him to stay home-"
    "Hey, none of this is your fault, okay. You didn't know that this was going to happen."
    "Are you okay?" Betty asked.
    "No, he was my best friend. He was yours too, so, although we feel for him in different ways, it's very similar."
    Betty rested her hands on Cheryls, which were rested on Betty's knee. "Thank you, Cher. I really appreciate you being here for me."

    Cheryl laid in bed and Toni turned to face her. "I know you saw his body today, are you...okay?"
    "I thought I had worked through it, emotionally. But seeing him today..."
    "It triggered you."
    Cheryl nodded.
    "I am so sorry you had to see that."
    "It will be okay, I have all of these people who support me, and I have you."

    Betty brought Aero outside and took deep breaths, trying not to break down. She turned, seeing Jughead leaning against the rail of the deck.
    "You okay? What happened?" He asked, stepping towards her.
    "They found him. His body. I saw him. He was so...dead. It...I'm...it feels."
    "Shhh, it's okay." He hugged her as she sobbed into his chest.
    He rubbed circles on her back, calming her down. She pulled away and Jughead kisses her forehead.
    "Don't worry, I kiss all of my friends on the forehead, it's nothing." He whispered to her as she stepped away from him.
    She nodded, hugging him again. "Sorry about last night."
    "There's no need to apologize, but let's talk about you right now. You need closure, I think we should host a funeral. I think it will give everyone what they need. A proper goodbye."