Chapter Eight

Veronica, Cheryl, Archie and Jughead sat in the living room as Eve danced in front of the tv with Aero barking and Jumping next to her. "I'm going to check on Betty," Veronica said.
    "Why? She's just in the bath." Archie asked.
    "I don't know, I just have a feeling. Like she needs me."
    Archie shrugged and Veronica walked down the hallway to the bathroom, living faster than normal. She walked into the bathroom after knocking and saw Betty laying in the bath, sleeping. Veronica chuckled to herself before shaking her.
    "Betty, wake up. Betty?" Veronica checked for Betty's pulse and sobbed. It was there but slow. "Help!" She screamed.
    Cheryl Jumped up, leaving Archie and Jughead with Eve. She helped Veronica lift Betty out of the bath and onto the floor. Cheryl began to do CPR and Veronica called 9-1-1. Jughead walked in, seeing Betty laying on the floor, her clothes soaked. He fell to his knees next to her, breathing into her mouth as Cheryl continued to push on her chest. Betty gasped, sitting up and vomiting into the toilet. Cheryl rubbed circled on her back and Veronica got off the phone.
    "They will be here soon."
    Paramedics walked in, checking Betty before confirming she would be okay, but someone has to be watching her at all times. Betty walked out to the couch where Archie was and laid in his lap, falling asleep.
    "What happened?" Archie whispered.
    "Pills, suicide watch," Cheryl whispered back.
    Archie laid down and cuddled Betty from behind, rubbing her arm.
    "I don't understand, she was doing so much better," Jughead said, pulling Eve into his lap. Aero jumped up next to them.
    "Is mommy okay?"
    "Ya, she's just a little bit sick," Veronica said.
    Eve nodded and hugged Jughead. "I've gotta go home soon, but do you want me to stay?"
    "We should be okay, but I'm sure she would like it if you were here." Cheryl shrugged.
    "Please stay uncle Jug," Eve said, hugging him tighter.
    "Of course I'll stay."

The next night

    "Yeah, I'm fine. I promise." Betty said.
    "Are you sure?" Jughead asked through the phone.
    "Yes." She giggled.
    "Okay, well I just called to say good night and to tell you that uh, I love you."
    Betty felt a lump in her throat. "Jug, I've gotta go." She said hanging up.
    "Betty, you okay?" Archie asked, walking into the room.
    "I need a favour."
    "Anything."
    "Could you tell jug that, maybe we just need to stay away from each other for a while?"
    "What? Betty, why?"
    "It doesn't have to be cruel, Arch. Just enough to make him stay away."
    "Fine, " he sighed. "But Veronica won't like this."
    "I'll talk to her."
    Archie went down to Jughead's house the next morning and knocked on the door. Jellybean answered and called for Jughead. He and Archie stood outside in silence for a minute before Archie spoke.
    "I came here to tell you to stay away from Betty. She doesn't want to see you anymore."
    "So she sent you? Betty wouldn't do that."
    "If you don't believe me then call her."
    "Is this because of what I said last night?"
    "Jughead, I don't know what you said, she just told me that she doesn't want you around anymore. I'm sorry."
    Jughead nodded. "Well, thanks for the message." He said, walking back into his house.
  "I'm sorry, you got Archie to do what?" Veronica asked, turning to Betty.
    "I got him to tell Jug to stay away from me."
    "Why would you do that? He has been nothing but kind to you."
    "He told me he loved me. Ronnie, I can deal with that right now. I'm not over Jake, I know I have had closure for a year, but it still feels wrong. I'm not ready for-"
    "I understand, breathe," Veronica said, hugging Betty as she sobbed.