Phone Call

By the time I made it back to the villa that Daniel and I were staying at, my world was dizzy. I stumbled through the front door, slinging the bag with no care for it's contents to the side. Ripping the mask from my face, I discarded it and the voice modifier and flopped on the couch I made it to.

"Daniel!" I yelled out, unzipping the suit to work my injured arm free. I wasn't dying, but it sure felt like I was.

My partner quickly came in the room, the first aid kit clutched in his hands and crouched in front of me. I started to unhook the vest around me and pulled it over my head, wincing when Daniel started moving my arm around gently.

"Sorry," He muttered, digging in the kit to pull out some gauze and wrap. "went straight through though, so it'll be fine."

It wasn't going to be fine. None of this was going to be fine. I glanced at the backpack and shook my head, taking a deep breath in through my nose. Massimo was going to be pissed, not just because something was stolen from him, but because Domenico was probably still knocked out from the tranquilizer and couldn't tell him anything. Really, what could he tell him? He knew next to nothing.

"Send the painting to Dimitri's hotel tomorrow, then start packing. We leave tomorrow night."

Daniel finished bandaging me up and nodded, standing. "This a bad time to tell you I told you so?"

I narrowed my eyes at him and grabbed one of the pillows from the couch, tossing it at him. As much as he was trying to put me at ease, it didn't work. My mind began to whirl, trying to figure out why Domenico was left behind. Did Massimo think something was afoot because Dimitri came to his party? Were the two working together, even though they hated each other? As I laid my head back against the couch and closed my eyes, I couldn't put my finger on it. Maybe it wasn't anything of the sort and Domenico really did think something was off.

I pursed my lips and stood, making my way upstairs to take a shower and pack. I didn't want to stay in Sicily any longer than what I needed to.

----------------------------------------

Between packing and my shoulder hurting, I didn't get much sleep. When I woke up Daniel was gone, leaving a note that said he was sending the painting off. Good. The sooner that shit got delivered and we got paid, the better. We would never do business with Dimitri ever again.

By the time he got back, I was ready to leave and lounging on the balcony smoking a joint. The throbbing in my shoulder continued to get worse throughout the day, and I knew that I wouldn't be able to work for some time until it healed. 

"Well, I had it sent to him. The money should be arriving short-"

Daniel didn't even get to finish his sentence, the phone going off signaling a transfer had been made. I smiled at him, slouching further into the plush sectional. I smirked at him, squinting behind the sunglasses to look up at him and motioned with my head for him to join me. When he did, I snubbed out the joint.

"Go home and take a break. There's no way I can work with a bum shoulder right now. I'll leave out later tonight."

"You sure?" He questioned, leaning forward slightly to brace his elbows against his knees.

Nodding, I adjusted myself and pulled my sunglasses to rest on the top of my head. "Yeah, I won't be far behind you. Besides, you haven't seen them in awhile."

"What about yours?"

I licked my lips and shook my head, sliding the glasses back over my eyes. I would never see them again so long as I lived. They didn't deserve anything from me, let alone a moment of my time.