Cat and Mouse

On the way to the train station I texted Daniel from the burner phone, letting him know that he needed to be extra careful leaving Italy. This was one of the reasons why no one knew about me working with Daniel or what he looked like. It meant he could leave and no one would be looking for him. Instead, they'd be looking for me. Most times I could handle myself fairly well, but with my shoulder in the situation it was in, my chances were a lot lower. Brains instead of brawn.

I was sitting on the train in 1st class, trying to ignore the feeling in my shoulder when another call came through on my phone. Glancing at the screen I recognized the number and let out a quiet growl. I ripped the phone up and placed it to my ear.

"You have some nerve to call me."

"Come now," Came Dimitri's smooth reply, "I did nothing."

"Liar," I hissed, glancing around at the people passing by me. "you caused the job to go south. You're too reckless. This will be the last time we speak."

He made a noise through the phone, "You hurt my feelings. We did well together."

Snorting quietly I shook my head and closed my eyes. Yeah. Well. "Bullshit. You showing up at that party was stupid. You knew exactly what you were doing."

"I went to a party I was invited to. Nothing more."

I couldn't even believe what I was hearing at that moment. Did he really think I was that stupid? That him showing up at Massimo's party was him just dropping by to say hey? No. There was something behind it, and in that moment I felt like nothing but a pawn.

"Om prost," (stupid man) I whispered, shaking my head, "what do you want?'

He took a deep breath in, "Just call to tell you thanks. You helped me fix things with Massimo. I get to keep painting and we do business again, he get Mars, you get money. Win win."

"Are you a fucking idiot or is this a joke? This isn't how business is done. You've fucked us. Royally."

"No, no," Dimitri paused. "Just give him Mars and you go."

I opted not to say anything and hung up on him, throwing the phone on the tray in front of me. I closed my eyes and counted to ten, trying to calm my anger that was slowly beginning to rise. So Dimitri had sold me out. All in order to get back in Massimo's good graces. Reaching into the black blazer, I felt my warm skin against my palm as I rubbed gently on my chest.

Was I surprised? Somewhat. Never before had I been betrayed like that. The people that I mostly worked for were criminals, so the thought that they would rat me out never entered my mind. Well, unless they were dealing with Interpol. Why would it? They were just as bad as I was, and some were worse. I knew what I was getting into the minute I started, knew exactly the type of clientele that would be drawn to my services.

The minute the train began to move, I let out a soft exhale. Soon I would be home in Paris, away from Sicily, from Dimitri and Massimo. I slowly began to nod off, the quiet sounds of the almost empty cart helping to aid me in my journey for sleep. By the time I woke up, I would be free of all the headaches that Sicily provided.

-----------------------------------------------

I had no idea how long I had been asleep when my eyes were greeted with the bright sun shining in through the window. I took a moment to appreciate it, marveling in how beautiful it looked against the greenery that we shot past. America had beautiful sights no doubt, but there was something about Europe that made everything... more grand and breathtaking.

"Did you have a good nap?"

My mismatched eyes quickly shot in the direction of the voice and sitting beside me in the next aisle was Massimo himself. I tried my best to mask the surprise I held, only to let out a loud wince when someone behind me gripped my hurt shoulder. My heart began to beat wildly in my chest and I narrowed my eyes.