Confession PT 1

Massimo said nothing as his brown eyes peered down at me. It almost seemed as if he could go to my very soul with that gaze of his. I knew he was still pissed about accusing him of being in on the ploy with Dimitri, but there was something else lingering in his gaze.

Worry?

"Glad to see that you're still in Paris." I muttered quietly and pushed him away to close the still open door.

"Where were you?" He questioned, wrapping his warm palm around my elbow to tug me against his body.

Shrugging slightly, I pulled away from him and started back towards the living room area. I glanced over my shoulder to see if he was following me, and I wasn't surprised to see he indeed was.

"You never texted me back so I came home. Figured you had left already."

"If you think that display you pulled would make me leave, you haven't learned anything about me."

I licked my lips absently and plopped down in one of the chairs at the large oak table, glancing at the papers littered across it. 

Massimo wasn't entirely wrong in his statement. If someone had acted the way I had towards me, even in such a high pressured situation, I wouldn't have left either. It didn't matter that I accused him of being involved. He still refused to leave.

He took the chair across from me and glanced down at the papers, moving them around as he took in the information. There was no point in trying to hide this from him.

"What's this?" He questioned, leaning back in the chair to tap his fingers lightly against the table.

"Gabriel's ticket home." I reached for the glass of wine to take a sip from, letting out a quiet sigh. "All it's proven to be is a pain in my ass."

His brows furrowed. "You are going to steal from the Louvre?"

"That's the plan." I paused picking up the picture of the diamond to toss it towards him on the table. "Or go to jail."

He snorted, picking up the picture to look at it. "There is no way, neonata."

If it had been anyone else questioning my skills or ability to get things done, I'd have snapped at them. It didn't matter that he was probably right, that I was going against a high grade security system and extremely trained guards.

I still had to at least try.

We sat there in silence as I worked and I could feel Massimo's eyes on me the entire time, following my movements and keeping up with what I was piecing together.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, the sound cutting through the deathly quiet.

Massimo turned his attention to me, but said nothing.

"I'm sorry for accusing you of being in on Gabriel being taken. I know now you had nothing to do with it." I paused, licking my lips. "I... I don't do well with these types of things."

"What type of things?" He questioned, crossing his arms in front of him on top of the table.

Motioning between the two of us, I shrugged. "This. Relationships. It's easy to fuck someone and kick them out of your life. It's harder when they stay around and you start to become attached. It's nothing against you. I'm just used to people staying briefly and then leaving."

"Like your parents?"

Connecting my mismatched eyes with him, I gingerly nodded and then looked away. "For the most part. They were around, but not good parents. They pawned me off on someone else who had better connections and more money. I was supposed to join the two families... at 13."