one

day one                                                                                                                                                                       january 21, 2020

i brush my hair into a messy bun and look into the mirror. the on-call room was a disaster, and my ocd was screaming at me to clean it up, but i had already gotten my hour nap.

"gwendolyn, we have an EMS two minutes out." the head nurse, sylvia, mutters as she pushes the door open.

i sigh deeply and run my hands over my face, wiping the sleep out of my eyes before pulling my white coat on over my purple scrubs. "why can't we just have one calm night?" i ask as i walk out of the on-call room.

"you're a doctor, sweetheart - you were trained to always be on the go," the older woman says, her hand squeezing my arm gently.

i groan softly as i turn the corner, sylvia not far behind me, "don't remind me."

i push the doors open and walk up to one of the nurses assistants, pushing my arms into the blue protective covering. she ties it so it hugs my body as another nurse's assistant pushes sterile gloves onto my hands.

the soft sound of the ambulance sirens get closer before stopping, the doors to the EMS entrance being pushed open.

the trained professionals push their way into the building with a gurney, a small girl with dyed green roots lying on top of it. she clutches her chest as she stares at the lights on the ceiling, her blue eyes never meeting mine as we rush her into trauma room three.

"eighteen year old female, gunshot wound to the abdomen - patient is complaining of chest pain to the upper right quadrant." one of the EMTs say.

"whats your name, sweetheart?" i ask the girl, turning the corner into the trauma room.

"billie," she says with a hoarse voice, her eyes meeting mine momentarily.

"alright, billie, we're gonna take good care of you." i tell her, taking the stethoscope from my neck. i press the round object to her chest and listen closely to her heart before pressing it to her ribs. "lungs and heart sound fine - lets get an EKG and an ultrasound for the chest, blood cultures, and a 300 milligram drip of fentanyl - billie, have you had a tetanus shot in the last five years?"

she shakes her head slightly as the monitors light up with her heart rate, blood pressure, o2 levels, and temperature.

"alright - lets get her that tetanus vaccine," i tell the nurses. "honey, we're gonna have to cut your clothes off so we can see the damage, okay?"

she nods in response, her eyes squeezing shut as the RN pushes a butterfly needle into the vein of her hand. the nurses immediately go to work, using scissors to cut the baggy and bloodstained clothing from the girl's body.

i examine the wound to her abdomen, lightly pressing on the skin around it as the girl groans in pain. "i know it hurts, sweetheart, but i have to see what the damage is."

"am i gonna die?" she asks, looking up at me with teary eyes.

i shake my head and give her a sad smile. "i won't let you die."

A/N

it's back bitches

slowly updating this while i get shit sorted