twelve

two hours later - april 10, 2020

"i can't believe her last words were, 'i want my mom,' dude." i say, taking a sip of coffee. billie had taken me to a small coffee shop in downtown los angeles, and brought me food and coffee to make me feel better.

"i would too," billie says, nodding her head slightly. "my mom's my best friend, bro - if i was gonna die, she's the first person i would want to see."

"i mean," i start, taking a bite of the banana nut muffin. "i get it - but she just...died - right there, in front of me."

"you're a doctor, gwen," she says sadly, her hand reaching out to grasp mine. i squeeze her hand tightly and she sends me a sad smile. "you've saved lives, but you've also seen lives be taken - maybe its fate."

"people don't deserve to die, though," i say through clenched teeth, my eyes burning with tears once again. "fuck!"

"hey," she says softly, standing from her seat in front of me to sit beside me. she opens her arms and moves her hands in a 'come hither' motion. "come here."

i hide my face in her neck and let out a huff as she presses her lips to my forehead, "it wasn't your fault."

after about five minutes of billie holding me close to her body, i pull away from her and wipe my tear stained cheeks. "i'm sorry for crying on you."

"don't worry," she says with a small smile, her hands cupping my cheeks. "you have nothing to worry about."

"thank you for bringing me here," i tell her, looking around the old fashioned coffee house. "its really nice."

"anything to make you smile again." she says, her eye dropping in a wink.

"shut up," i say as my cheeks turn red, my cold hands covering them. "you're too nice to me."

"i wouldn't call it nice," she says with a laugh, taking a sip of her decaf drink.

"what would you call it then?" i ask with raised eyebrows, my chin resting in the palm of my hand as i turn toward her in the booth.

"flirting with a twist." she says, her face contorting with confusion before she bursts into laughter. "that sounded so much better in my head."

i laugh with her, my eyes roaming her face.

it might be the emotions talking, but she's pretty fucking gorgeous.

"bro, why are you staring?" she asks, her eyes avoiding mine. "you're making my nervous, for real."

i avert my eyes, and choose to stare at the almost empty coffee cup in front of me. "sorry," i say softly, my lip getting caught between my teeth as i look down at my lap. "i'm not here right now," i lie.

"where are you, then?" she says. her index finger catching my chin, forcing me to look up at her. "talk to me."

jesus, fuck, the way her eyes are staring into mine, like she can see into my soul.

"i don't know where i am," i say in a whisper, my eyes unwillingly dropping to her lips.

"i think i know," she says quietly, her tongue darting out slightly to wet her lips before her eyes move to my own lips.

i subconsciously move closer to her, but im cut off by her hand on my knee underneath the table.

"when we're not in public, baby, i promise."

A/N

pretty sure this is all of the chapter but yall og's know this shit better than i do so lmk if we fucked up