2. The Divorce

Caius sighed as he ran a hand through his hair

Caius sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. For the past week, he had been staying in the guest room in Aro's chambers- much to the pleasure of his mind-reading brother and the displeasure of the blond king himself. It had damn-near ripped his heart out having to reject Adolpha when she put her heart so eagerly on the line for him but everything he said was absolutely true. He wasn't ready for her. He refused to start a relationship with someone so precious while he was still in his old one. And for the past few days, he had been trying to get his head around his feelings with the help of a much interested Aro who could read his thoughts and help him with it all.

But seeing Adolpha waltz so calmly through the general scattering of dead bodies in the Throne Room, and then promptly ignoring him, was a harsh reminder that he needed to get things in motion. As much as he wanted to make all the steps calmly, in a collected manner; he knew that he could not.

Caius had been apart from Adolpha for only a few days and already, he wanted to return to her side; even just to play chess with her or talk about frivolous things and yell all the names under the sun at her. He couldn't do that while he was with Athenodora... And that was the most painful thing.

Athenodora was a lot of things, and despite how their relationship was slowly grinding to a close, it pained him to consider the possibility that he may never see her again. Despite all of this, the blond man made his way with a stony expression to the quarters of Lady Athenodora Volturi to deliver the news and the paperwork that would make it all official. The hallways seemed so hauntingly familiar as he walked them and her doorway came into sight before he even had the chance to fully rehearse the words that were in his head.

It all went straight out the window the second he entered her quarters, regardless.

Athenodora sat at her vanity mirror, brushing her long blonde hair though the second her eyes locked with his in the mirror, she whipped around with a smile stretching across her lips and he swallowed. He hadn't spoken to her in a week and how here he was, coming to deliver her some bad news. Athenodora frowned and stood when she saw the icy expression that painted across his features.

"Caius? What's wrong?" She questioned and was instantly at his side, her hands reaching up to take his cheeks gently though his large pale hands instantly grabbed both her wrists, expression impassive though eyes pained as he lowered her hands. "...what's happening, Caius?"

"Do you love me, Athena?" He breathed and she frowned at him, slightly alarmed.

"Of course I do. How could I not? What's wrong Caius?" She persisted again, twisting her wrists out of his hold and much more conservatively taking his hands gently.

"Thena... I love you too. I have always loved you since you were a pretty village girl with flowers in her hair. But... We have always known that eventually; that love wasn't going to be enough. I have found the one, I don't know what the future holds for Adolpha and I but I know that it isn't fair on you to string you along for the ride. You're so beautiful, Dora. You deserve to be with someone who treats you fairly; who recognises you as the incredible woman you are... But that's not me, Dora. I... I am not that man. I am not good for you. I always thought that eventually, being with you- I would stop being so evil. That your love would heal me, make me a good man. But, in two thousand years... I haven't felt the emotions I have felt in the last month with Adolpha. That's nothing against you. You are incredible, Dora... Just, not for me. I don't like who I am with you. It's-- Everything is just about her now, and I love you enough to let you go before you can have your heart completely broken."

"...You are absolutely positive about this?" she blinked and he nodded slowly as she dropped his hands gently, painting a solemnly pained smile on her lips.

"I'm so sorry, Athenodora"

"Don't be Caius. Don't ever be sorry for that which you cannot help. I just hope she treats you well. I could not tame you, it didn't matter how many arguments we had- you were right back to your old ways. Maybe this Adolpha will be the one to heal you. I certainly hope so. I love you enough to let you go... And I hope to find my very own reason for existing soon enough."

"I hope you do too." he smiled tightly and her eyes flickered down to his suit jacket as he removed some paperwork. Athenodora smiled in a slightly pained fashion, eyes watering ever so slightly. It didn't matter how much pain they had put one another through- they would always have a place in their heart for each other. This paperwork would just make everything official.

"I am glad you're doing this the right way, Caius. I have had more than enough time to come to grips with everything that you do but... Don't do this to her. Don't self destruct your own relationship. Just because you didn't treat me the way I always wanted... Doesn't mean you can't treat her that way."

"Thank you, for everything, Athena."