14. The Blues

Kurt Carmichael heaved in deeply as he approached where she stood, his deep black attire perfectly in place as he looked calmly over her head, eyes locking with her pretty face in the reflection

Kurt Carmichael heaved in deeply as he approached where she stood, his deep black attire perfectly in place as he looked calmly over her head, eyes locking with her pretty face in the reflection. Kurt and Adolpha were the closest things one another had to family now. As he placed his hands gently on her shoulders, eyes scanning her expression in the mirror, he nodded once. And she returned it. She looked so deadly calm, so confidently collected in her tight black dress, and cool expression.

It was the funeral of Conri and Lou Blackwood but funerals were not about mourning in the wolf world. At least, not following the death of the Alpha. And Adolpha promised herself that she would be strong, she had sobbed agonised painful shudders for the past three days, Caius never having left her side even for a minute but her time had come to be strong and she would not defy her brother's image now.

"This is the hardest part, Dol. You know that. But they will bend the knee to you. You are Alpha now." he assured strongly and she turned to him calmly, reaching up to straighten his tie though her expression of confidence never faltered. They could very easily have been going to prom, rather than a funeral. But that was the way it had to be. The Blues had been congregating in the castle for the past few days in preparation and now, the time had come.

Adolpha blinked at him for a moment and her hand slid easily into the loop of his arm. They were walking quickly then; the sooner it started, the sooner it would end. It was in the hallway that they bumped into Chann. The Delta Scout nodded, smiling tightly, solemnly.

"Alpha, Beta." he nodded at them respectively and Kurt and Adolpha exchanged a glance, that was the only words that needed to come from Chann to show his support and Adolpha nodded at him once, allowing him to link onto the other end of their chain. With their new Alpha between them, the wolves walked calmly to the Throne room where it would all take place. It seemed to come into view far too quickly and her hands tightened into the fabric of their suit sleeves, gaining small smiles of assurance from them both as they finally entered.

The room was positively brimming with people, wolves and imprints alike lined the room and at the centre, opposite the door somewhat uncomfortably were the vampires. The Volturi were uncomfortable in their own home as they took in the sheer size of Blue Pack for the very first time. They created a circle around the room and in the centre lay two coffins. One was a startling white colour and the other an ebony black.

Adolpha knew the second her eyes locked on the coffins that her eyes watered but she swallowed it down because now was not the time for it, with hundreds of pairs of eyes locked on her. Her heels seemed to click all the way across the eery silence of the room as they reached the podium and stood beside the three kings- all of which she refused to look at.

"Welcome," she nodded, her voice icy smooth which was surprising even to her. "I am sorry that we all must meet again at a time of such tragedy... Corni Blackwood has been Alpha to Blue Pack for eighty years and it is today that he and his beloved wife, Louise Anderson Blackwood; may finally rest. They have finally found the peace that we all search for. Conri and Lou... Meant a lot to all of us... " she swallowed, looking up at Kurt who nodded comfortingly. "And we shall be heartbroken at their absence." she wanted to say more, to speak about the two people in the world that she had spent the past few decades with but now was not the time for such things, she had said what was expected of her.

"It has been named in the will of Conri Blackwood" it was straight down to business now, as if it wasn't a funeral at all, and Chann was taking charge. "That at the time of his death; his sister, Adolpha Blackwood, previously our Beta wolf for eighty years, will be named Alpha and she has consequently named Kurt Carmichael as her new Beta... If anybody has an objection or conern about this. The time to speak is now."

"I have a concern" a voice piped up and Adolpha sighed as George stepped forward, he was a fairly secluded wolf, choosing to live and travel alone.

"This concern is?"

"How the hell is it going to work? No offence Dol, but you've imprinted on the man that has torn our family apart for centuries. How can you lead us from the confines of this castle? And what do you propose to be done about the Crescents and their vampire friends? There is no doubt there will be more of them"

"Viable concerns" Adolpha returned. "I understand that this is a hard time for all of us. While I shall continue to live here; I have made arrangements for us to align with the Italian wolf pack not too far away from here. A few of you, upon visitation not too long ago, have also found your own imprints with our Italian friends. You are all, as usual, free to travel and live where you please though houses are being constructed for those of you who would like to stay at the base. As for the Crescents, while the vampires deal with the vampires- in tradition. It has been decided in a unanimous vote amongst you all, that we shall obliterate the Crescents entirely. They have collectively waged war, killed seven of our own and shown time and time again that they will not back down until they are forced to. I understand that many of you have been excited about this development for a long while. However, for the sake of our wolf allegiances, we have waited until provoked. The time of provocation is now. And we will remain dormant no longer. Although previously opposed to the violence, I will now be an advocate for it, ensuring that my brother's final wish- to demolish that which has destroyed us for so long- Shall be destroyed."

"We stand with you, as Blue Packs first Alpha Queen. Adolpha, it would be an honour and a privilege to stand beside you." George smiled and nodded and there was a resounding cheer which, for the shortest second. Made her heart lighten.