13. The Grieving

The world beyond the window was plaguing with light as she watched it, her eyes unseeing as he held her

The world beyond the window was plaguing with light as she watched it, her eyes unseeing as he held her. And she wouldn't let him move even an inch. Caius' hands absentmindedly drew patterns over her exposed skin, her leg hitched over his waist to keep him closer but he didn't mind and neither did she as they remained a tangle of limbs and emotions.

"Adolpha" he breathed gently, a flutter as gentle as a butterflies wings and her eyelashes fanned to a close softly at the bittersweet calm of his tone as he held her. "You need to get dressed Darling" Caius continued and her hands curled tighter, holding him closer; it was a clear denial but one that he could not follow. The blood of her brother had dried against her skin now, her dress painted against the warm curvatures of her.

Caius stood in a swift motion, taking her with him and she whimpered, shocking him to look down at her, red eyes scanning. When his ruby orbs scanned her pretty face, there was a broken and fragile innocence staring back and he swallowed, forcing away the fear that threatened to swarm him like a family of bees to a hive. She was so different from the girl he had spent so many hours with and he was at a loss.

It had been an exceedingly long time since Caius Volturi grieved but with one look into her eyes, he felt like he was. His chest was heavy like boulders had been deposited there but he knew that it was all because of her. Caius was in pain because she was in pain. It was a startling realisation to him as he carried her along to the bathroom.

The blond man placed his mate gently on the counter by the sink and his eyes scanned over her. He didn't know what to do and he hated the feeling of hopelessness. She looked at him so much agonised vulnerability- He just wanted to take it away. Caius would happily take the pain upon himself if it allowed her to feel better. Softly reaching down, his long fingers gently untied the ribbons of her shoes and they dropped carelessly in a red haze to the marble floor with a gentle clattering sound.

Slowly, Caius reached back and pulled her hair off of her back, their faces only inches away from one another as he gently tugged the zip down her back, revealing the smooth contours of her that he had seen before. The blond man had to help her to stand once more for the pale fabric to billow away from her and around her feet and she was so startlingly short beside him as she looked up with her broken expression.

The vampire king could not help but pull her into the circle of his arms once more as she stood there, her curtain of curls sweeping over his arm as he held her, her arms encircling his waist weakly in response. Her already scarred body was now dotted with further small wounds from the glass that rained down upon her and it clutched in her curls still.

"Come on, let's get you clean" he smiled tightly and guided her over to the shower. It was impossibly large but as he turned the appropriate knobs, testing the water with his fingertips briefly, he did not follow her inside. Instead, the blond male ushered her in gently and she accepted the water willingly. The puddle at her feet ran pink for the shortest second, quickly soaking the underwear she wore and seeing her head tilt back, eyes closed to the hammering torrent- Caius easily flew from the room to his wardrobe.

The man's eyes scanned over the many things that he owned for a long pause before he pulled out a soft t-shirt and some tracksuit bottoms that had gotten absolutely no usage in his lifetime. The blond king left the clothes calmly on the side by the sink with a towel for her and found his way to his desk in his chambers, the steam from the shower escaping from the door he had left open. But he didn't have the heart to close it, to cut her off from him by a visible barrier at that moment.

Soon enough, she returned to him, looking completely fresh and clean with the water having straightened out her curls into a flowing tangle though her eyes reflected the same hollow pool of pain that gnawed at his heart. The trousers he had given were tightened using the drawstrings, pulled into a tight bow and an excess of fabric pooled around the bottom of her legs due to her shortness and gravity.

It seemed so easy for her then; to walk straight into his arms, climbing onto his lap where he sat in his desk chair. And when Aldopha straddled his waist and clung to him like a koala, he allowed it, his hands smoothing out the tangle that lay against her back- her hair that was usually a smooth sheet. He knew as he held her that there was nothing he could do except hold her and hope that that comfort would be enough. But the feeling of her tears bundling into his neck in a hot mess drew pain into the centre of his chest and it was agony, seeing her look like that. Seeing how tragically vulnerable she was in that moment.

Adolpha passed out there, falling asleep in exhaustion with her face pressed into his neck and Caius merely held her, the blood of her brother still painted on the front of his shirt. There was nothing they could do now but grieve...

The sight of Louise Anderson's body was a harsh reminder to Caius how much Adolpha needed him. She physically could not live without him. Lou had died from a broken heart and he wouldn't allow the same thing to fall upon her. Caius would be there for Adolpha, to hold her and protect her for the rest of his immortal life. She was his purpose in life.