Chapter Seven

Letting out all of my feelings to Miguel felt monumental

Something about him makes me feel like I can open up to him and be his lifelong friend. What turned out sexual and flirtatious in the beginning turned out to be a great friendship. We talked all night that night, and he opened up to me, and he told me some disturbing things that I never thought could happen to such a beautiful person inside and out. I also revealed what was going on with Matteo and me and how Emiliano would flip his shit if he found out. He advised that I needed to stop sleeping with different men and get my head on straight, and for the first time, I listened and agreed with him.

Miguel explained to me everything he's ever gone through, and it's pretty grueling; his mother and father left him just to rot, making him go into the foster care system where the people there were even crueler than his parents. He was sexually molested at the age of nine at the hands of the people who were supposed to protect him. If that wasn't horrible, he was continuously getting beat. The system is genuinely horrific, and all I wanted to do was protect him from this cruel world. Later on, he confided that Ashley was his girlfriend and left him because he worked as a bartender, and Emiliano knew this—I was just angrier with Emiliano now.

I wanted to kill Ashley for leaving Miguel like he was nothing because of the job he worked like she was better than anyone. Her job entailed spending her daddy's money and getting on her knees. Emiliano was another one; how can he just sit there and willingly get engaged to someone like her? This wasn't making any sense to me. I needed answers, and I think I know who to call for them.

                                            *********************

Many thoughts rummage through my mind sitting here in the coffee shop waiting on her as I sip on my latte. I hadn't seen her since the night when Emiliano dragged me into his office weeks ago—Yes, weeks ago. Valerie and Sophia were the closest things I had to sisters, and it was ripped away from me. I had no choice but to remove myself from that equation altogether because I could not put myself in any more pain than I already was in.

As I drink my latte, I feel a pair of eyes on me as I bring my head up. I met with the same man who kept looking at me that night from across the street from the club. Something about the way he's looking at me is terrifying, not to mention he seems oddly familiar to me like I've seen him before other than that evening. I feel uncertain, and I am ready to bolt and meet Valerie somewhere else when the man comes directly in front of me

"Are you Jessica?" The man asks, looking at me oddly.

How the fuck does this man know my name? I'm now confused, and scared, don't tell me Emiliano has his men watching me. What the fuck is wrong with him? I never needed him. I am doing fine on my fucking own without his fucking minions. I don't understand why Emiliano feels the need to try and have his men watch me, but I don't need it—I am fine by myself. Getting worked up, I grip the cup of my latte tight with my knuckles turning white. The man's eyebrows shoot up at me in surprise as he probably knows I'm agitated "you don't need to know my name, by the way. Tell Emiliano that he doesn't need to have me followed, and if he tries sending his men to watch me, I will have no problem shooting him in the kneecaps. Now you can leave, and you're dismissed." The man said nothing else to me as he left straight out of the cafe. Feeling relief, I slumped in my chair, waiting for the arrival of Valerie.