Chapter Eleven

"Jessica, wake the hell up!" Alexis shouted, removing the covers off my head

Groaning, I bring them right back over my head so I can sleep longer. Today is Saturday, July 24th, my birthday, and I just turned twenty-seven years old, yet I feel like I'm fucking forty. Last night, Miguel, Alexis, Stephanie, Elianna, and I went to a nice dinner by the water near Prospect Park in Brooklyn, followed by a club in Queens called Azure. I don't remember how many shots I've taken; all I know is this was the best birthday I've ever had, but today Elianna invited all of us to her big brother's engagement party— I am seriously rethinking saying yes to her.

"Jessica, wake the freak up. It's your birthday, and we all have coffee and breakfast waiting for you at your table," Alexis announced.

Removing the covers off me, I sprinted off the bed "you had me at coffee," making her giggle, telling me to hurry up before the food gets cold.

I quickly brush my teeth and wash my face feeling better than I did a few minutes ago. All I need is some coffee with a lot of fattening foods to cure this hangover for tonight. Elianna has been very vague about who her brother is but all I know is he's a wealthy businessman and has multiple businesses throughout the U.S across the globe. Elianna hasn't been very forthcoming, but she discloses little information to me little by little. Her mother's name is Liliana, and she adores her mother. They're best friends. It has made me think of my mother and what I am missing, but I quickly put my mom to the back of my mind so I wouldn't cry— her death will be avenged.

Walking into my kitchen, the aroma of the coffee brewing, eggs, bacon, and fresh fruit fills my senses, and I immediately get excited and get ready to devour my food. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY," they all shout. I say thank you to everyone giving them hugs, and they promised me tomorrow I'd get my gifts because tonight we have that party to attend to. I've told them numerous times they didn't need to get me anything.

"Morning prima, come and enjoy this delicious breakfast I've made," Stephanie says, smiling and I am glad for the way things are between us. She wound up exclaiming it was only sibling rivalry. She was insanely jealous of how I always clung to her father and thought he loved me more than her, but I also explained that I didn't have a father figure growing up, nor did I have grandparents since they kicked my mother out when she was pregnant with me. However, my mom has told me that my grandparents favored my aunt (Stephanie's mother) more than her. However, Stephanie's mother has always been the perfect princess of the family as mine was the failure, as my grandparents would call it. They're both alive to this day, and Stephanie continues to see them in Puerto Rico when she can, but they don't care enough to see me even though Stephanie is constantly telling them they should see their granddaughter— I don't really care anymore.

I started piling food onto my plate and poured myself a cup of coffee. I take a bite of the tasty bacon and moan in delight at the deliciousness bestowed upon me. We all start talking and laughing while eating, but something is missing. It just feels empty, and I know why but I would never admit the truth to myself because if I do, then I can't stop the tears that would have streamed down my face. I'm glad that Miguel brings me out of my sad thoughts.