Prologue- The Dream

"Keefe?" Sophie whispered, her eyes fluttering open, her arm reaching out into nothingness for a boy she could not reach.

Keefe Sencen lay a few cots away, his eyes closed, looking more peaceful than Sophie had ever seen him awake. She rubbed her eyes and groggily sat up as a bespectacled figure entered the room.

"Good morning, Sophie," said Elwin, smiling. "I'm not going to bother asking if you slept well, because I know you well enough to know that you didn't, but how's our patient?"

"I-" Sophie glanced over at Keefe and loosed a breath. "Unconscious." she said dejectedly.  Elwin nodded sadly. Sophie fiddled with Krakie, who was pinned to her brightly patterned borrowed pajamas. 

"You should go home Sophie," Elwin said. "You don't need to stay here with Keefe. Me and Bullhorn got this."  Sophie met Elwin's eyes. She couldn't leave Keefe here, but...

She was tired.

So tired. 

She nodded, still half-asleep, and reached for her home crystal around her neck. Elwin waved goodbye as she held it up to the morning light. 

As the light started to carry her away, she noticed a black creeping into her vision, dancing in front of her eyes.

"Elwin?" she called as the light faded into darkness and she slipped away into unconsciousness.

*****

Sophie awoke to a beeping noise. She opened her eyes groggily, gazing at a Harry Potter alarm clock that she hadn't seen in years. She sat up straight, ignoring Harry's flashing face. 

She took in the rest of the room, the colorful posters adorning the walls, the grey hoodie peeking out from behind the wardrobe door, the gentle morning light fighting to get through the curtains.

This room.

This was her human bedroom.