Sophie- Don't Buy the Tinned Peaches

Sophie huddled in the corner of the car park, watching her breath mist in the cool night air. The warm September evenings had started to give way to winter chill, and, almost a full week since their conversation with Biana, the weather had decided it was finally autumn. 

Sophie spotted Linh and Marella head across the car park. She spotted Linh first, with her silver puffer jacket and braided hair. Sophie thought she looked like a Hunter of Artemis, but Linh probably wouldn't understand the reference(or maybe she would- they weren't in the Lost Cities anymore).

She waved to the two girls. 

Marella jogged over to her, Linh following at a slightly slower pace. 

"Hi," said Marella, glancing at her watch. "What time is Alvar supposed to get out?" 

"Five." answered Sophie, checking her phone. She had texted Biana ten minutes ago, but there was still no reply.

Linh rubbed her hands together to warm them up. "Biana had better get here soon, it's quarter to now." she said, pulling the neckline of her coat up over her nose. Marella put an arm around Linh to warm her up. 

Linh snuggled into Marella, a faint blush dusting her cheeks. 

Sophie spotted a dark-haired figure jogging out of the office block. 

"That's him," she told Linh and Marella, pointing at the figure moving towards the side of the building. "That's Alvar."

"He sure is in a hurry, huh." remarked Marella "Well? Do we go after him?"

Sophie pulled out her phone. Still no reply. She sent a quick message to Biana; WHERE ARE YOU? 

She put her phone back into her pocket. 

"I'm going to say yes." she said.

The three of them crept across the car park, towards the road which Alvar had disappeared down. 

Sophie could just about make out Alvar's figure headed towards a corner shop. 

Marella looked confused. "What's he going in there for?" she asked. "Isn't he supposed to be doing super-secret evil stuff?"

"Hey, don't judge him, maybe he just ran out of milk." Linh muttered. 

"I'm following him." Sophie decided. "I'm going into the shop."

Linh and Marella exchanged a nervous glance. "Uh, Sophie are you sure? We don't know what he's doing in there..." Marella said, concern lacing her voice.

"I know, but this could be our only chance to trail him." 

"He could be here tomorrow?"

Sophie looked at Marella. "Do you really think you can change my mind?"

Marella sighed and followed Sophie into the shop, Linh close behind her. "You're impossible."

Sophie flashed her a grin. "I know."

Over the top of a row of cereal boxes, Sophie could see Alvar's head. She grabbed a box of Lucky Charms to seem inconspicuous, and followed Alvar into the tinned food aisle. 

"Sophie, what are we doing?" hissed Linh, inspecting a can of tinned peaches. 

Sophie wasn't sure she knew the answer to that question herself. 

"Follow me," she whispered back "And don't buy those peaches, they have tons of added sugar."

Linh frowned at the peaches in her hand as Sophie picked up a can of tomato soup and continued creeping nonchalantly down the aisle. She spotted Alvar over by the bread section. He had two loaves of bread in his hands, and seemed to be debating over which to buy.

"Are you sure this is our villain?" Marella appeared beside Sophie, holding two jars of pickled onions.  

"Yes," Sophie hissed with conviction. 

Maybe he's not. She thought. Maybe he's different here.

A ping came from Sophie's pocket. 

"Finally," Sophie muttered "It's about time, Biana."

She unlocked her phone and opened the text from Biana. 

Sophie froze. 

"What is it?" asked Marella, peeking over her shoulder to read the text.

Sophie looked across at Alvar, then back down at the text. 

HE KNOWS. DON'T GO AFTER HIM. LEAVE NOW.

Sophie looked back up at Alvar. 

Alvar smiled back.