Sophie- The Universe Gives Me the Wrong Boyfriend

Sophie stumbled back a step. Fitz Vacker? She broke up with Fitz Vacker!  

Sophie swallowed. "Uh, hi. I'm looking for my boyfriend? Amy said he would give me a lift to school..."

 Fitz smiled one of his perfect smiles. "Ha-ha. Very funny, Sophie. Come on, we'll be late if you just stand there all day." He reached out to take her backpack, but Sophie jerked her shoulder away. 

Hurt and confusion flashed in Fitz's eyes but he didn't say anything. She pushed past Fitz to sit in the passenger seat. Fitz's car was pretty, sky blue, with a brand she didn't recognize. She pulled out the phone she had picked up as Fitz climbed into the driver's seat. 

"Forgotten your password?" he joked, flinging his backpack into the back seat.

"Actually," Sophie said "Yes." 

Fitz smiled and, although Sophie hated to admit it, her heart melted a little. Damn this old crush! She was over Fitz! "Here, I'll put it in for you." he said, reaching across and keying in the numbers on her phone. 

"Thanks," she mumbled as Fitz handed her phone back to her. She opened up messages and scrolled through Other Sophie's recent conversations. Fitz started to pull out of her driveway. 

It wasn't until they were almost at the school that she noticed something odd. "Fitz?" she asked, scrolling through the text messages again, just to make sure. "Does Keefe have a phone?"

Fitz looked at her weirdly, his eyes flicking quickly back to the road. "Probably, yeah. Yeah, actually, I think I've seen him use it."

Sophie looked up from her phone. 

"Then why isn't he in my contacts?"

Fitz started to laugh before he realized Sophie was being serious. 

"Sophie," he said, pulling into the school car park. "You hate Keefe."

"What?!" Sophie exclaimed. "But- I could never- Keefe and I-" She struggled to get the words out. No way. She could never hate Keefe, not in any alternate universe. She could never hate any of her friends.

She put her head in her hands, her elbows resting on her lap. "Today has been so weird. First all of the weird stuff this morning, then you show up even though I broke up with you-" Sophie stopped suddenly, realizing who she was ranting to. 

Fitz stopped reaching for his black backpack and turned his head so quickly, Sophie was sure it should've fallen off. "You broke up with me? When? I don't remember this!" 

Sophie sighed. "Fitz it's a really long story, and I don't really feel like talking about this right now. You'd probably think I'm crazy, anyway, so let's just get to our lockers before class, okay?" She tried for what she hoped was a confident smile. 

Fitz shook his head. "But I want to talk about this. Why would you think that?" He paused for a moment, his brow furrowing. "Is there someone else?" he asked. "I want you to be honest with me, Sophie."

"No!" Sophie exclaimed. "Fitz, I would never do something like that! It's just... where I'm from, we broke up. We agreed we'd be better off as friends, because I said I wasn't ready for a relationship yet. And you were so worried about matchmaking, it... made sense."

"Sophie, you've been acting weird all day. What do you mean where you're from-"

Sophie opened the car door and hopped out. "Thanks for the lift!" she said cheerfully. "See you at lunch!"

She raced towards the entrance before Fitz could say anything. 

She was really messing things up for Other Sophie. If Other Sophie ever came back.

Sophie looked up at the looming redbrick building in front of her. This entire day was a complete mess, and it wasn't even 9:30 yet. She sighed, fiddling with her backpack straps.=, too nervous to open the door. 

That was when she remembered, she had no idea where her locker was.