vii

"Klaus I'm not leaving just because your psycho ex threatened me!" Caroline exclaimed, stomping her foot and blowing strands of dirty blonde out of her face.

Klaus and Caroline stood in the original hybrid's bedroom, the atmosphere heated as they argued. Klaus was trying desperately to convince caroline to go home, that the spell didn't require her assistance anymore and aurora would go after her. Caroline was refusing, arguing that she needed to see this through to the end.

"Love, I just want you to be safe." Klaus took a step closer, their warm breathes mingling together. His dark blue eyes were burning holes into her own light ones, begging her to listen.

"I can protect myself! Besides me and Freya will stick together from now on, I promise." Caroline didn't want to leave. After spending the previous day babysitting Hope the young vampire grew attached, the small toddler very friendly.

"Caroline I couldn't live with myself if I lost you." Klaus was growing angrier by the second, her defiance unnatural to the man who usually got everything.

"You won't, besides if aurora tries something I have the Mikaelson's on my side. Which let me tell you is a nice change of pace," Caroline started to laugh when suddenly Klaus's face grew cold.

"Why can't you ever just listen to me! Why must you be so defiant when it comes to your safety!" Klaus was yelling, and though she knew he wouldn't hurt her Caroline was still slightly nervous.

Caroline backed away slowly, leaving at least a foot of space between them, "Because this is my life!"

"You will stay in the compound unless you get accompanied by one of us. Hayley, Freya, Elijah I don't care who but under no circumstances will you leave." Klaus's voice gave way to no disagreement.

"Klaus why do you care so much! We're not even friends! You tried to kill me numerous times so stop acting like you have any reason to keep me safe," Caroline shrieked, angry tears running down her face, hand wiping roughly against her cheeks.

"Caroline-" Klaus faltered for a moment, not entirely sure why he cared for the girl so much. Something about Caroline made the thought of her getting hurt make his heart wrench. Yes, he hurt her, but Klaus didn't know how special the girl was at the time. After getting to know her the original hybrid promised no harm would come to his baby vampire. Not as long as he lived.

"Hey caroline I was wondering if you want to go out, Mary is watching hope so Freya and I thought-" Hayley popped her head in the door, the scene before her slightly unsettling.

"Hayley we are clearly in the middle of something." Nik practically growled, upset by her rude intrusion.

"I'd love to go, Hayley, we were just finishing up." Caroline threw a final glare at Klaus before walking swiftly to the door, not giving him another glance back.