xviii

Klaus had made it back to his studio stealthy, wanting to avoid Caroline at any cost. Klaus had told Stefan he would talk to the blonde girl that encaptured his heart, but the nerves inside him were too strong to ignore. So he went to the only place that brought him comfort, the place that always calmed him down from any irritants. Though what he felt right at this second was eating him up inside with such brutality that he simply couldn't focus on the painting. 

The door to the soundproof room opened slowly, cautiously as Caroline walked inside, her footsteps quiet and hesitant, "Klaus we need to talk." 

Klaus's head snapped up at the voice, irises wide at the disheveled caroline in front of him. Her blonde hair was in messy curls down her back, the blue tint of the eyes held so much sadness they came out in small drops, the usual pale cheeks down bright red and tear-stained. It physically pained the man to know he had brought such a state upon the woman he cared so much about.

Still, though, he pushed away, "there is nothing to talk about, I've won, the chase is over." 

The statement hit Caroline like a truck, bouncing around in a distressed rhythm, still, she preceded, "I know that's not true," She walked closer, placing a fragile hand across his cheek, "Klaus just talk to me."

The hybrid couldn't bear the sadness that burrowed so deeply in her sky-blue eyes, "You deserve better Caroline." Klaus never used her real name, always preferring a pet name of sorts. It showed a maturity, one that had blossomed in an effort to be worthy of the blonde baby vampire, one that knew deep in its bones Klaus would never deserve her.

"It doesn't matter what I deserve Klaus!" Caroline cried, placing both hands to pull his face level with hers, "I want you. Klaus, I-I love you!" The words left her before she could stop them, and unable to take the meaningful dialect back she just persisted, "But Klaus I need you to stop placing me on a pedestal. I'm not this light you make me out to be, I'm not some perfect vampire who represents all the morals you don't have. I'm a person, and so are you. SO right now just be a normal guy and tell me. Niklaus Mikaelson do you love me?"

The speech left Klaus breathless, winded. he knew that he loved Caroline, but was he ready to admit it? was he ready to risk everything just because of how this baby vampire made him feel? 

The answer was yes.

"I love you, Caroline Forbes,"