Discussion

August 28, 2058. Saturday. 8:15 p.m.

Daddy's heavy step sends a light pulse through the wood porch as he approaches from behind. I'm sitting on the third stair, holding myself, staring at the sunset.

He clears his throat and begins to say something, but I cut him off.

"I'm not speaking to you. We're not having this discussion."

"You are speaking to me. We need to have this discussion. You're old enough to attend public school like everyone else, and I am too busy to bother with private education for you. Apart from that, with the economy being what it is these days, I also no longer have the funds."

Refusing to look at him, I tip my head slightly and say airily, "I thought you said the reason I couldn't attend public school was because you couldn't afford it."

"When I said that, it wasn't a matter of money. It was a matter of sanity."

"You said private schooling was better."

"It is. Or was. You see, the economy's changing, and I know you know that very well. These changes have made way for alterations to the cost of education. The tables have turned, now. Private schooling is harder to get and harder to afford. Public schooling is available to anyone of any background, regardless their income rate."

"Daddy. You always said we were well off when it came to money."

"We are. But I need to save that money, and you need to be around people your own age. It isn't right to keep you so cooped up. I want to see you making friends, growing, prospering. You're sixteen, Little Dipper. And you're alone."

"I'm not alone, Daddy. I have you."

He sits down beside me, sets a heavy hand on my right shoulder, willing me to look at him. "You won't always have me. I'm going to be away a lot now. That's why we've been talking about this. I'm going to be gone for months at a time, and I need to know you have friends to go to when I'm not here to take care of you."

"I can take care of myself. I don't need anybody."

Faint glimmerings of tears appear in his eyes. "Before she died, I promised your mother I would take care of you. This is taking care of you. I'm your father and all I want is to see you safe and happy."

"Don't talk about Mama to me," I choke, getting up and running inside.

"School starts Monday," he calls after me. "They sent me a list of everything you'll need. You can buy the things in town tomorrow if you wish. I'll send money along."

But I've already run upstairs to my room and slammed the door.