Green Tourmaline

M/n woke up the next day to the alluring scent of beef stew and rice. He sat up on his bed, his eyes blinking as they adjusted to the light. At first,he felt utterly confused as he looked around his surroundings.

The clothed window was now open and the cloth fluttered back and forth as the wind passed through,letting the cold breeze in and pass his bare skin.

It was only then that the memories of yesterday popped back into his head- the merchant, Mayu, the demons, his injuries, passing out- spectacular performance by the way, M/n- Mayu finding him bleeding and taking him back into her home, attending to his wounds, dinner, everything.

His wounds. His hand abruptly pulls up to his bandages. By a spur of a thought, his grip tightens around the flesh. He regretted it as soon as the sharp pain kicks in,and he winces. Fuck.

That was a stupid move. He sighed.

He slowly edged towards the other end of the bed,pulling on his uniform and putting his other things in tact. His sword, a roll of bandages that Aoi so insisted for him to carry around him- which she was right, it did came in handy. M/n was only realizing that by the ragged cut on the end, Mayu had used some of it for his wounds.

Also because the roll was smaller than what it used to be.

His bracelet- he checked to make sure it was actually there at least two to three times- the fourth when he came walking to the door.

He pushed through the doorway and was greeted by an old lady holding onto a pot. M/n caught a glance of what was inside the pot and was right about his guess earlier.

The old lady's eyes widened at the sight of him and for a second, M/n did a double take if he came out of the same house. He was sure Mayu had said her mother knew of his presence. Unless this lady standing in front of him was not her mother, then M/n should really apologize for the intrusion.

He bowed his head low and instantly cringed. The pain was tolerable, it was not even worse than what he's been through before, but pain was still pain.

He was halfway through his apology when he was brought into a tight hug. It was oddly welcoming and reassuring, like the pats on the back by Shinobu, and the silent company of Kanao, and the comforting insistence of Aoi and those three girls that he always kept forgetting. He promises to bring them sweets from his journey for them as a silent apology once he goes back home.

Home.

He doesn't know when he started calling the Butterfly Estate his home but it sat so well in his chest.

He reminded himself that he was in the presence of someone and swallowed back the lump in his throat. The old lady was short and plump and only managed to hug his torso, which was where the wound sat.

When the odd feelings disappeared, it was quickly replcaed by the pain that he knew was bound to come after that bone crushing hug. He gently placed his hand on top of his uniform where the bandaged wound was hidden.

He did so so subtly and refused to show pain, he didn't want to make this smiling lady worry over him.
He took a few breaths before he finally noticed the lady was speaking to him.

"Hello," she said so in the most cherry voice M/n has ever heard, it rivaled with Shinobu's own teasing tone whenever she spoke about him over working. Only,this lady's cherry tone was because of her poorly hidden excitement.

"Ooh! I'm Mayu's mother,by the way," she said as she went over to place four bowls of food around the wooden table. She moved fairly fast as she fished out other utensils and placed them all around beside the bowls. She didn't give M/n any time to offer help, nor did she look like she was going to accept any either.