Chapter 10- Another Day

You woke up with a sigh, rubbing your eyes as you rolled into your stomach.
Groggily, you got out of bed, your feet hitting the cold tiles of the floor in your quarters. You frowned, tip toeing towards your wooden trunk, opening it to grab your uniform.
After taking it out, you carried it over to the refresher, which is as cramped as they come.
Once you freshen up and slip into your uniform, you approach the door that leads into the hall.
This was it. This was the first day of your job as a mechanic. You weren't sure what to expect. For one, you were grateful that they offered you the position. It was a chance to prove yourself to the resistance. At the moment, you would do anything to gain trust.
On the other hand, you had no idea what you were doing. You had never fixed an X-Wing or even touched any tools, except to hand them to the occasional mechanic. You had no experience. There was a chance that your first day would also be your last.
Taking a deep breath, you opened the door, slipping out and into the hall. You weren't used the base yet, so you looked both ways before making a guess on where you were supposed to go.
Finally, you reached the hangar, where a woman stood in a similar uniform with her arms crossed, her eyes searching for something or someone.
Her eyes met yours and she snickered as you approached, holding out your hand for her to shake. She waved you off, quirking a brow, "You're the new hotshot?"
"I beg your pardon?"
She sighed, "Figures," She picks at her fingernail, "Names' Juniaas."
"Y/N," You say, dropping your hand by your side once more as she beckoned for you to walk beside her.
"There's a lot of talk about you," She mentioned, but didn't bother elaborating on the thought, "If you come this way, you'll see the mechanics who are far more experienced."
With a nod, she continues, "Over here to the right is the spare parts room. You can find just about anything in those old bins. Y-Wing parts, an old cruiser circuit... even an old gear from Alderaan."
"Alderaan? I thought it was blown up a while back. By Darth Vader?" You questioned, "I thought that finding parts would be rare."
"They are. Practically ever piece from Alderaan that we get goes straight to General Organa. It was her home, you know," Juniaas explained, "I guess a lot of us know what it's like to lose our home."
You nod once more, trying to avoid the subject, "What's up there to the left? And straight ahead? And farther down to the right?"
"To the left is the workshop. Mainly for smaller projects. Like assembling a circuit or working on a droid. On the right is a small training facility for new mechanics. Straight ahead leads you into the hangar. That's where most of the work gets done."
Juniaas stopped in her tracks, turning her head back to you, "You'll be going to the right."
"Understandable. I have no experience, to be honest," You sigh, "I'm just trying to turn my life around. I've been so busy worrying about what family would say- that I never thought about what innocent lifeforms would say. The First Order destroyed entire planets."
You began to walk towards the training facility, but were stopped when Juniaas called out to you, "Where in the maker do you think you're going?"
You stuttered, eyes wide, "To the training facility."
"Oh, no. The mechanics have all agreed that until you prove us wrong about you, that you'll be sorting through old parts in the warehouse," She said, leading you over to the well sized room.
Your jaw dropped as you peeled our head in further than you had before. It was a mess. Parts were thrown everywhere, some stuck to the ceiling while others lay carelessly thrown on the ground.
Your eyes meet Juniaas once again. Eyes wide and eyebrows quirked, you frown, "Please tell me that I'm not the only one working in here."
"Wish I could," She snickered, "But that would be lying- and I don't lie, if you haven't figured that it by now."
"I could have guessed, thanks," You retorted, kneeling down on the cold floor and examining the pieces.
Turning to Juniaas, you bow your head, "I have no idea which parts are which. Or what goes where."
A packet falls to the ground beside you with a thud, "That's what this is for. Handbooks. Compare each part to each one in the photo and then carefully set the pieces back into the trays. Take inventory, then put them back on the shelf. A droid will be over to assist you in a few moments."
"A droid?" You question, "What kind of droid?"
"Well, I don't know which exact droid they're calling to come. I'm sure they'll help you out alright, if that makes you feel better. Now, get to work," She days with a twinge if annoyance.
With that, Juniaas stalked off, leaving you in the middle of a heaping pile of spare parts and scraps. Like we had said, moments later , a droid strolled in. It was a silver droid with brown accents on its sides, beeping happily.
You began sorting through the parts one by one, putting them in the same category trades afterwards. It was going to be a long day, but at least you had a good start.

————————————————————
Sorry that it's been so long since I posted! And please give a warm welcome to our newest character, Juniaas (June-Ay-Is) AKA Juni. She's strong willed and I'm already into her ark. This is exciting! New characters!
      I also apologize that this one is short. It's an introduction to Juni AND a filler chapter! Here's to hoping that the next one is longer.