Chapter 12: A New Perspective

Poe——————————————————

       Poe woke up with a sigh, burying his head in his pillows as he silently wished that he could stay in bed for the rest of his life.
Alas, he had things to do, places to be, and people to see. At least, that's what his mother had told him when he was a child.
She would run a hand through his curly hair with a smile, "Poe, you can't just wait around all day and expect other people to do things for you. You have things to do, places to be, and people to see."
At the time, he hadn't applied her words to his everyday life. He had just shrugged and waved her off, "You can say that all you want, Ma, but it doesn't change the fact that I'd rather be bean rather a blanket back home."
Shara sighed at his words, "Poe Dameron, you promise me that you'll get up off your behind and get the job done when you need to. You promise me, boy."
His shoulder has sagged as he nodded, continuing to walk beside her, "Yes, Ma. I promise."
To this day, she's the reason he's in the resistance. Following in her footsteps one day at a time. No matter what tries to stop him, he marches forward. He had made a promise to his mother- and he wasn't willing to break it. Not now. Not ever.
Of course there were obstacles. It wasn't exactly a one person job to get out of Ren's grasp. Poe had help from Finn, a new friend who he had unfortunately lost on Jakku. He had the resistance rooting for him. Kes, his father, was always there to lend a hand. Finally, there was Y/N. They had given him what he needed. Bandages, hope, and his mother's ring. His mother's ring...
Ever since Shara had passed away a while back, Poe vowed to wear her ring on a chain around his neck. He knew that one day, when he find the right person, that he would remove the ring from the chain and place it on their finger.
The thought of settling down seemed foreign to him. He was constantly on the run from the first order. He couldn't imagine worrying about a husband/wife/spouse/partner or child/children. It was far too risky. He wasn't willing to risk it.

Poe saw you walk around the base several times, always waving at him kindly and sharing a simple hello as you made your way to the training area of the base.
You was either walking behind Juni or beside Ëilee. It seemed as though you had a new found friend in the pilot, something Poe thought was good for you. After all, he had the black squadron by his side- and he wouldn't trade that family for the world.
At the moment, he wasn't in love with you. If he were being honest with himself, he really, truly, did like you. The way your hair falls at your {Body feature that your hair reaches} was perfect in his eyes. He was taken by you, there was no denying that. Not that he could even try. So, how could you not tell that he wanted to be closer to you? Because just about anyone could see that there was something going on between the two of you.

————————————————————

Juni——————————————————
Juni groaned as she shuffled her feet across the base, yawning and running a hand through her untamed hair. It stuck up at all ends, the dark brown locks frizzy, full, and curly.
She made eye contact with Êilee, who had been- and continues to be- her closest confidant on the base.
He smiled as she approached him, jokingly throwing an arm around her shoulders and pulling her close, "Rough morning?"
"You don't even know," She sighs, "Bee-Dee is gonna kill me."
       "Hey, I offered to take him," He reminds her, "You're the one who insisted that you could handle it. And here we are."
       Juni shakes her head, letting out a breathy laugh, "And here we are."
       "How's Y/N?" Ëilee asks, tilting his head as he looks at his friend, his arm falling off her shoulders.
       "They're trying their best, that's for sure," She answers, "Most of the newbies don't even bother looking at the manual. They either know what they're doing or they eventually get promoted. They're genuinely trying. I can tell."
       He nods thoughtfully, "I saw that the light was on last night. I decided to swing by. Thought you were in there doing reports or something. Found them staying up later in order to get ahead for the week."
       "I think they're ready."
       He turns to her, watching as her hair bounces as she walks, "Already?"
        Juni nods, a soft smile on her face, "If they keep this up for the rest of this week, I think they'll be ready for training next week. I'll give them a one day break from all this chaos. That's what we got, after all."
       "Thank you. You don't know how much this means to be, Juni," Ëilee grins, patting her on the shoulder gently.
        "What, you like them or something?" She raises a brow curiously, her head bowed as he continues to walk by her side.
       "Not in that way. I saw their potential the moment I met them. They've got information- important information. It'll be useful as the battle nears," He explains, "No need to get jealous, Juni."
        She falls back a step in shock, "Jealous? Me? I'm not the one who's jealous. You're jealous."
       "Of who?"
       She furrows her brows, trying to think of someone, "Bee-Dee."
       "Droids don't count."
       "They do when they take your spot at lunch. You got pissed. It was hilarious," Juni laughs, pressing a hand to her chest in an effort to stop.
         He rolls his eyes playfully, "You're something else, you know that? Always picking on the old man."
         "You're barely 25, you ass. You're basically insinuating that I'm old!"
         "Hey, you started it," He teased.
         "26 isn't old," She convinces herself. She knew that she wasn't old, but his words always messed with her head. It was part of their banter. And she wouldn't trade it for the world.

————————————————————
Ëilee—————————————————

         There wasn't a day that went by that Ëilee wasn't grateful for what he had. The family he made. The friendships that had formed. He would trade it for anything.
       Every time a member of the resistance had fallen, his heart broke even more. He may not have known them, but he couldn't imagine how it would feel to lose Juni, Puck, or his mother. He had already lost his father to the first order. He wasn't willing to lose anyone else.
        He wasn't willing to lose you, either. You had quickly become a sister to him. He was willing to protect you even if it meant he got killed in the process. Maybe it's because he truly cared about his friends and family. Maybe it's because he didn't want anyone else to get hurt. Maybe it's because he knew something that you didn't.