Chapter 5: The Gift of Nezuko II

Aoi couldn't stop herself from feeling guilty towards Inosuke.

During lunch, Inosuke was shockingly quiet to the point that it worried the others. He didn't ask for extra food and finished his plate in silence.

As Aoi was hanging the clothes she washed on the clothing line, she thought about how harsh her words were to Inosuke.

She was angry, but as she pondered, he had a pure intention.

Even though he did a terrible job, he wanted to help her with cooking.

Shinobu had always reminded her to look past people's actions and focus the intention behind them. Inosuke was sincere in his own way.

She had let her emotions get the best of her.

Nature saw how much Aoi had sighed, muttered to herself and planned many illicit apologies to Inosuke during the evening.

Fortunately for her, the three assistants that she sent to the town were back and it helped to distract Aoi from overthinking.

"Aoi-chan! We're back!" They three announced in unison.

Aoi was delighted to see them safe and sound. It was the first time she decided to send them for errands in the town.

When Shinobu was still alive, it was Aoi's task.

"Did you enjoy the town? Were the people friendly there?" Aoi asked attentively.

One of the girls brightened up. "Yes, the people were very nice, but they asked us if you're coming down, Aoi-chan," Kiyo claimed.

Aoi smiled. "Perhaps some other time. I don't think I'll be going for a while," Aoi replied as she threw a kimono over the line.

"I know. You're very busy and it makes us feel bad," Naho, the less talkative one, mentioned.

Aoi was stunned to know that they cared a lot about her. "No, don't be. This is all I can do. I really want you three to enjoy your youth."

Sumi, the most mature of the three, said, "I was a bit scared, Aoi-chan. There were so many people looking at us."

"Wait, you three didn't go alone, did you? You brought someone along, right?" Aoi asked with concern.

The three nodded altogether. "Sanemi-sama was looking for some ohagi. He came along with us!"

Aoi exhaled. "That man. I stopped making ohagi because he seems too obsessed with it, but I'm relieved. It'll be really dangerous to go alone. More importantly, did you girls manage to buy some meat?"

Their shoulders slumped, dejected. "We're sorry! We have been informed that the owner of the shop is sick and he isn't able to make any trade in the neighbouring towns."

Kiyo wailed. "Aaa, we apologize!"

 "Aaa, we apologize!"