Chapter 20: The Discussion of Fate

"Inosuke, we have something to talk about. I know how much Aoi means to you, so we want you to make this decision on your own. Of course, we don't want to force you into accepting our opinion, but this discussion has long been overdue," explained Tanjiro.

The news Inosuke received had taken away the happiness he gathered during the long period he stayed at the Butterfly Mansion.

He was too distracted, carried away by the times he spent with Aoi to actually realize what was going on with his friends.

Inosuke had a sudden flashback to the start of the day. The morning began with so much happiness and love that he didn't expect it to take a dark turn.

Perhaps, the rain had always been foreshadowing his upcoming fate.

During the morning, Aoi had brought Inosuke, Tanjiro, Zenitsu and Nezuko to the demon slayers' graves. Upon hearing the confession about Inosuke's mother, she decided to tell him about one favour she made on her own.

Kanao had to stay in the Butterfly Mansion for supervision. She didn't question Aoi's suggestion and simply agreed with her opinion.

Without anybody knowing, Tanjiro was actually disappointed after finding out that Kanao won't be following them.

Inosuke picked some wildflowers from the forest before dawn because Tanjiro and Zenitsu forced him to. He didn't want to be left behind, so he followed them and even picked the most flowers out of thinking it was a competition.

Currently, he was crouching down before a memorial, arranging flowers and some shiny acorns before the tombstone.

Similar to the state of his heart, the sky was gloomy with the sun hidden behind the dark clouds, indicating an upcoming storm. Lightning struck occasionally and Aoi would get her breath stopped after each flash.

"I wasn't sure when to tell you that I've ordered memorials for Lady Shinobu and your mother. Since upper moon two didn't leave any body for us to bury, this is the least I can manage," she explained as she sat down beside him.

Inosuke traced his mother's carved name. He didn't know how to read, but he recognized the writings of her surname.

"My mom was happy," he breathed.

"She'd be happier to know how strong you've grown," Aoi persuaded, wrapping her arms around his shoulders. Inosuke returned her hug and pulled Aoi tighter to him.

Inosuke learned hugging during the past few days. He would try it on Aoi again and again until she confirmed that he was used to putting the right amount of force in his hugs. Sometimes, he would aggressively ask her to hug him back, which would entail a whack on his head with a ladle.

They both held the same bouquet of flowers before putting it in front of Lady Shinobu's tombstone and muttered some prayers.

Tanjiro tried his best to visit all graves. Even though he wanted to cherish the memories he had with the late pillars and other dead demon slayers, he couldn't forget about the graves of his family at his old house.

Nezuko and Zenitsu followed Tanjiro. Nezuko seemed to specifically remember the other slayers whom she met when she was a demon such as Muichiro and Genya. They deserved a happier life, even though she knew they would meet their families again in heaven.

Inosuke stayed very long before his mother. He was grateful that each part of his features—from his supple skin to his bright green eyes and eyelashes were gifts from his mother. He didn't mind people calling him beautiful if it referred to Kotoha Hashibira all along.

Aoi glanced at the sky and announced, "It's going to rain later. We should make our way back."

She pulled the strap of her bag open and took out two umbrellas. "Here. I brought umbrellas for you guys too."