Chapter 19: These Feelings of Love

A/N: Warning, long chapter ahead! The amount of words in this chapter is equivalent to two chapters, but I'm not separating it. If I divide this chapter into two, it might not achieve the objective that I want. Hope you enjoy!

"Please never forget, my darling Inosuke—Mama loves you very much," Kotoha whispered to Inosuke's ears as she didn't think twice from departing with her beloved child.

It sounded like a sad tale of a mother abandoning her little baby boy. The way Douma talked about Kotoha Hashibira being abused and ridiculed to the point of fleeing out from her husband's family reflecting nothing but suffering.

So...

Why did she smile when she tossed Inosuke off the cliff?

Inosuke had never recalled this memory before.

The only things he fully remembered about his mother were her pinky promise and the beautiful lullabies she used to sing.

Since the time Aoi had kissed him on the cheek, making his heart calm instead of race, he started having more vivid dreams about Kotoha.

Mind you, they were not nightmares as he presumed.

The dreams he began to have about his mother never ceased of her smiles and heartwarming laugh.

The first time her mother's spring green eyes popped into his mind made Inosuke jolt up from his sleep, panting and sweating. Those times, he saw Douma's rainbow eyes and his mocking smirk that would make him throw the nearest furniture to the wall.

As time progressed however, he began to feel nothing but Kotoha's happiness and contentment as she raised Inosuke for only a while.

The love she had for her son was exemplified to the point that Inosuke's hate dissipated into nothingness.

Anyone who listened to her story would give looks of pity. However, she was radiant—an angel who was sent only for a short time before the heaven claimed her again.

No matter how sad this sounded, Inosuke wasn't angry anymore.

The smiles that he dreamed, her songs, her touch—Inosuke remembered it all. Inosuke knew how happy Kotoha was, even though she had to run away from home.

He asked himself many times why did he suddenly begin to have these fleeting dreams. They felt like something he could reach, but each time he tried, she would disappear.

Right now, he was crouched down on the roof, watching the moon as clouds floated around it. The full moon reminded him of someone else too—the late insect pillar who filled his lonely heart, also for a small amount of time.

Inosuke looked, looked and looked.

He didn't realize that the hole in his heart kept looking for someone. It was like he yearned for the presence of a person.

The time that Aoi pressed her lips on his cheek, the pain disappeared.

He stood up and walked on the ridge of the roof, balancing his body and occasionally turning upside down, moving with his hands.

Inosuke found his answers.

Perhaps, he had heard his mother speaking to him all this time.

Her distinct smile that was smeared with droplets of tears had become much more obvious than before as if Inosuke started knowing what happiness was instead of despondence. He used to only remember her red crying eyes, but now, all he saw was her big smile.

He couldn't comprehend back then why his mother used the word 'love' in each of his dreams.

However, that one word began to speak volume for him.