Chapter 9: The Horde of Visitors II

During the afternoon, as the Demon Slayer Corps was already disbanded by its former master, Kiriya Ubuyashiki, all the remaining pillars assembled together to honor those who lost their lives fighting the demons, including Uzui.

The visitors were still crowding the manor, conversing and chattering with each other. Some who were still in need of treatment stayed in their respective rooms, talking to their friends.

Aoi and Inosuke were outside, just a few feet in front of the backdoor, washing the dishes and cleaning up the utensils that were used.

They sat before a large basin, opposite of each other.

Inosuke was scrubbing a plate with all his might using a sponge, threatening to break the porcelain into half.

"Why the hell is this not coming out?!" he complained, baring his teeth in frustration.

"Leave the plate in the basin for a while. The water will soften it," Aoi advised, hands immersed in the soapy water while her eyes flew to Inosuke.

He quickly plunged the porcelain to the bottom of the basin, wishing that the plate would float to Aoi and she was the one who had to wash it. "I didn't know cleaning is this hard."

"It's just a life skill. Ironically, some people are good in rare things like—I don't know...slaying demons, perhaps? But they can't even clean their own house," Aoi replied.

"Are you making fun of me?!"

She shrugged, pretending to brush the plates without a care in the world. "I didn't imply anything," she said almost sarcastically.

"Jokes on you. If it wasn't for me, you'd be dead after one step in the Red Light District," Inosuke replied, shockingly calm.

"And if it wasn't for me, you'd be dead within minutes because of those life-threatening injuries," Aoi hissed, using a mid-loud voice.

"Oh, yeah?! Well, if it wasn't for me—"

Before Inosuke could jump and tackle this girl to the ground, feeling somehow mischievous and wanting to pay her back for her cunning words, three beautiful women appeared in the kitchen and looked for the two of them.

It was Suma Uzui's voice. "Inosuke-san, Aoi-san! Where are you two?"

Aoi craned her neck to peek through the backdoor and yelled, "We're out here!"

The three women popped from the kitchen and saw the two of them washing the dishes.

They greeted Aoi and Inosuke, bending their bodies to match the height of them sitting down on short stools.

"Wahh, Inosuke-san! Aren't you a good boy?" Hinatsuru exclaimed, suprised to see how hard he was trying to help Aoi.

As much as she could recall, Inosuke wasn't a person who particularly cared about housework, cleaning or even keeping himself intact and proper.

However, he was still one of the people who saved their life in the Red Light District, so Hinatsuru respected him.

Inosuke felt proud. "The king of the mountains accepts your praise! Hohoho!"

Aoi scoffed. "Heh. That's rich coming from someone who can't even get any names right."

His head snapped to Aoi. "What did you say, demon woman?! I can memorize all names in the world if I have time!"

She shook her hands, getting rid of the water and crossed them between her chest. "Prove it."

Inosuke exhaled in anger, stood up and hopped to the three women behind Aoi. He aimed to say their names out loud, wanting to impress Aoi.