Chapter Two

Her heart begins to race as she glances up to his face. Dark bandana, rich black-brown hair, and now she's close enough to see very faint freckles across his nose.

"Um, yeah. Sorry, I'm fine! Thanks." she spat out.

The boy snickered to himself and put his hand out for a handshake.

"That's good to hear, I'm Fulton."

Y/N dusted the grass off of her hand on her jeans and reached out to meet his hand, gripping on and giving a firm handshake.

"Y/N, nice to meet you. Sorry about that, I wasn't even paying attention to where I was going."

Fulton shook his head, "No, don't apologize, it's not your fault."

Y/N could barely focus on what he was saying, her stomach filled with butterflies; and her cheeks beginning to turn crimson. She learned his name, but not in the way she had hoped. Preferably in a less embarrassing situation.

"Uh, I should get going. I'll see you around?" He asked.

Y/N snapped out of her thoughts and started to stammer.

"U-um, yeah! Sorry, yes. Yes, I will see you around."

She mentally rolled her eyes at herself, figuring that he thinks she's a total weirdo.

"It was nice you meet you, Y/N."

"You, too, Fulton."

Both waved goodbye to each other, walking opposite directions. Y/N's face was now beet red but had the biggest smile.

Back in her dorm, Y/N was sitting up in her bed, reading her textbook while simultaneously writing answers on her worksheet. She was interrupted by the sound of the landline phone in her room. She set her work aside and got up to answer the phone.

"Hello?"
"Y/N? It's Connie!"
"Hey, girl! What's up?"
     "Practice got done early tonight, do you still wanna study together?"

"Yes! Come on over, I have some exciting news!"

"Oooh, I'll be over in like 20 minutes. See you soon!"

"See ya!"

Y/N hung the phone up just as her roommate, Sydney, came through the door.

"Hey, Syd. Is it cool if I have someone over to study?" She asked.

"Uh, sure. I'll go over to Curtis's dorm tonight."

Curtis is Sydney's boyfriend, who's a total sleazeball. Y/N thinks that he's just using Sydney to get good grades and just to have some kind of "arm-candy" around campus.

Y/N sits back down on her bed, continuing her work.

"Who's coming over, Y/N?" Sydney asked.

"Connie Moreau, she's nice."

Sydney nodded.

"Oh, I know her! Yeah, she's such a sweetie. I see her around campus with her boyfriend all the time."

Y/N furrowed her brows in confusion.

"Boyfriend? I didn't know she had a boyfriend."

"Oh yeah, I think they're on the same hockey team. They're the new JV team here."

Y/N chuckled.

"No wonder the Varsity has been so on their toes right now."

Sydney and Y/N shared a laugh before Sydney headed for the phone.

"I'm gonna call Curtis's dorm real quick, is that okay?"

Y/N nodded.

"Yeah! Do what you gotta do, hun."

About 10 minutes later, Sydney was heading for the door to leave.

"Bye, Y/N. I'll be back around 10!"

Y/N waved to her.

"Have fun, but not too much fun!"

Sydney chuckled.

"Noted, see ya!"

As Sydney leaves the room, Connie rounds the corner to Y/N's room. A knock on the door frame startles Y/N.
"Connie! Sit down, I have news!"

Connie sat in the love seat at the corner of the room, setting her bag down next to it.

"What is it? Is it about that guy you told me about?"

Y/N nodded with a huge grin on her face. Connie squeals.

"Y/N! Did you learn his name?"

Y/N nodded, again.

"I did! It was kind of embarrassing, though. I bumped into his shoulder and I fell down the stairs into the grass. He asked if I was okay, and I froze. Only for a second, though, I eventually got some words out."

"What's his name?" Connie was about to explode from the anticipation.

Y/N took a deep breath.

"Fulton."

Connie's jaw practically hit the floor.

"You're joking."