Chapter Six

Y/N shot up in her bed, realizing Sydney's alarm clock was blaring the most annoying sound she's ever heard. Somehow, Sydney was still sound asleep despite the piercing shrieks of her alarm. Y/N got up and switched it off, then lightly shook Sydney so that she would wake up.
       "Wake up, Syd, your alarm went off already."
Sydney began to stir around, slowly opening her eyes.
       "Nooo, just a few more minutes, I have to finish my dream."
Y/N scoffed with a smile.
       "Too bad, you can finish it when you go to sleep tonight. Come on, I'll buy you breakfast at the dining hall?"
With that comment, Sydney was up and out of bed.
       "Don't play with me, Y/N. You know I can't resist a free meal."
Y/N laughed as she gathered her clothes and toiletries to go take a shower.
      "No jokes, all truth. I gotta shower first, though, I'll be quick."
      "Not too quick, you won't get the job done."
Y/N rolled her eyes and laughed at Sydney.
      "Whatever, I'll be back in, like, 20 minutes."
      "See ya!"
Y/N slipped on her shower flip flops and headed out the door to the showers. The cool breeze in the hallway gave her goosebumps on her exposed arms and legs. When entering the showers, they were completely empty.
      "Thank god, no awkward conversations."
After her brisk and refreshing shower, she deodorized, lotioned, and spritzed herself with her favorite body spray from bath and body works. Then changed into a simple outfit; thigh length jean shorts that were rolled up, a black belt, a long sleeved tee tucked into her shorts, and  finished off with a pair of black vans, slip ons. Then, threw on a simple gold necklace with a pearl in the middle. She grabbed her dirty laundry and toiletries, exiting the shower room.
As she was rounding the corner to her room, she saw Connie walking with a pep in her step, also on her way to Y/N's room.
      "Good morning, sunshine! What are you all happy about?"
Connie turned around to see Y/N, which caused her already giant smile to grow.
       "Hey, girl! Sorry, I just ran into Guy, my boyfriend, and he said he's taking me to a movie on campus tonight. Also, I was on my way to see you so I could get my book bag."
Y/N fumbles through her pockets for her room key. Once she pulls it out, she hands it to Connie.
      "Here, I'd knock first, just in case Sydney isn't decent yet."
Connie nodded,
      "Good idea."
She knocked on the door, Sydney opened the door, fully dressed.
       "Good morning, ladies! Your bag's by the love seat, hun."
       "Awesome, thanks!"
Y/N puts away her things and throws her dirty clothes into her hamper. She picks up her book bag and opens it to make sure she has everything she needs for the school day.
      "Alrighty! Connie, Syd and I are gonna grab some breakfast, wanna join us?"
Connie grabbed her bag and smiled,
     "I'd love to! Let's get going."
All three head out the door with smiles and carrying backpacks that were way too heavy. Y/N turns around to lock the room, then puts the key back into her pocket. The girls continued to exit the building, stepping out into another, warm and sunny September morning.
     "So, Sydney, did Y/N tell you about her new boyfrienddd?" Connie said teasingly.
Y/N gave her a light nudge with her elbow.
     "Stop! He's not my boyfriend, Connie."
Sydney and Connie share a laugh,
     "But you wish he was? From what you told me, it sounds like you guys have a little chemistry building up." Sydney replied.
Y/N skates her head,
     "I will admit, he's cute. But, I don't want to get my hopes up, you know? We don't know that much about each other."
Connie nodded,
     "I get what you're saying, but he did ask you out, right? That has to mean something."
Y/N nodded in agreement,
     "I guess you're right, still, I just want to prepare myself if we don't end up being anything more than friends."
The girls reached the entrance to the dining hall, Sydney opened the door for them to enter. They all scan their student ID's before each grabbing a tray and getting in line.
      "I don't know about you guys, but I'm starving." Sydney states.
Connie and Y/N nodded fast, as they were both ready to eat as well. As the girls load up their trays with the food they want, they head to the register to pay for their meals. Y/N took care of Sydney's, as she promised. They all stepped away from the register, searching for a spot to sit. As they were searching for a seat, they heard a voice from across the dining area.
      "Guys, over here!"
The girls look up to see Fulton, Guy, and Julie waving them down.
Connie chirped right up at the sight of the gang, leading them to their table.
       "Good morning, guys! This is Sydney, Y/N's roommate. Sydney, this is Fulton, Guy, and Julie, we all play for the JV team."
Sydney waves to them all, and immediately looks to Y/N, leaning in to whisper.
       "Is that him?" She gestures to Fulton.
Y/N shushes her softly,
       "Yes, don't let him see us whispering."
Sydney nodded and started to dig into her meal.
       "How is everyone this morning?" Y/N asked.
They all answered with generic 'good's or 'fine's.
       "How about you ladies?" Fulton asked before taking a bite of his scrambled eggs.
       "I'm good! Y/N bought me my food." Sydney replied.
Y/N rolled her eyes and chuckled,
       "Yeah, only because you wouldn't have gotten out of bed if I didn't bribe you with it."
The whole table shared some laughs. Y/N took a glance at Fulton, his smile was infectious to her. It was long before she realized she had been staring at him, luckily he didn't notice. The table had continued to eat and converse.
       "Are you guys excited for your game tomorrow night?" Y/N asked.
They all had mixed reactions, mostly nodding.
      "Yeah, but I think we're nervous about the fact that this is our first game with our new coach. We don't really know what to expect from him." Guy chimed in.
Y/N nodded understandingly,
      "Gotcha, I know you guys said he's like a drill sergeant. What about your old coach?"
      "He was awesome, last year we went to Los Angeles to play as team USA in the Junior Goodwill Games. Now, he's working with them full time." Fulton said.
      "We all miss him, but I'm grateful that we're still able to play, especially with each other. It's not like we're playing with a whole new team." Julie added.
Y/N was surprised,
     "I understand, it's good that he kept you guys together. I remember my younger brother watched every game and practically cried tears of joy when you guys won. That's crazy."
Y/N took a look at the wall clock behind Julie, 8:30. She grabbed her, now empty, tray,
     "Does anybody else have any garbage they need thrown away?" She asked.
Everyone handed her their trays, except Fulton, he stood up.
     "Here, I'll take a couple trays from you."
He held his hand out, she handed him a couple trays. They started over to the big garbage cans that were across the dining hall.
    "You look great, Y/N."
Y/N smiled as her cheeks began to blush,
    "You're not so bad yourself, thank you."
Fulton smiled and nodded,
    "Thanks, um. Listen, I've been thinking about last night,"