Chapter Three

"What? Do you know him?"

Connie nodded,

"I think we're talking about the same person. Does he have dark hair? And always wear a bandana?"

Y/N slowly nodded,

"Yeah, at least he was wearing one when I saw him today."

"He's on my team, Y/N! That's so adorable!" Connie chuckled.

Y/N's eyes went wide, her ears feel like they're on fire. No wonder he was running away from Varsity today, he's on the JV team.

    "Y/N? You look like you just saw a ghost." Connie stated.

Y/N shook her head, trying to recollect her thoughts and turn them into plausible sentences.

    "Sorry, I just realized why he and two other guys were running from Rick today. I can't believe that they feel so threatened."

Connie laughed shaking her head,

    "They don't hate just because they know we're competition. Fulton told us what they did at practice. They put horse poop into Charlie's lunch bag, knowing that either Rick or someone else would take it from him."

Y/N rolled her eyes, smiling,

"That's hilarious, I'm sure Rick deserved it, though."

Connie nodded in agreement,

"Oh, totally. They're all real jerks."

Y/N grabs her textbook.

"Come on, we got some work to do."

Connie sighs, reaching for her book bag to grab her homework and books.

After a few hours of studying, Y/N glances over to the clock on Sydney's desk, 7:30.

She glances over to Connie, still jotting answers down on her worksheet.

    "I'm bored, Connie. Let's do something."

Connie's head shoots up,

    "Jeez, I thought you'd never ask... I have an idea, where's your phone?"

Y/N points to the phone by the door,

    "Over there. Who are you calling?"

Connie has an evil grin on her face,

    "You'll see."

Y/N rolls her eyes. Suddenly Connie hands her the phone, it's ringing. Y/N puts the phone to her ear. The ringing stops as she hears someone pick up the other line.

"Hello?"

Y/N's stomach fills with butterflies, once again. It's Fulton.

    "Is anyone there?"

She stammers,

    "S-sorry!"

Y/N slams the phone back on the hook. She glares at Connie, lying on Sydney's bed, laughing herself to tears.

    "Connie, are you crazy?! What if he figures out it was me?"

Connie wipes the tears off of her cheeks, still laughing.

    "He won't, Y/N! Lighten up, you've got to admit that that was funny."

Y/N chuckles lightly,

"I guess, but don't ever do that to me again. I'll get you back, you know that right?"

Connie rolls her eyes,

"Yeah, yeah I know. What else can we do?"

Y/N ponders for a second,

"I don't know, wanna go walk around campus?"

Connie nods, picking up her bag.

"You can just leave your bag here."

"Coolio, let's go!"

Y/N and Connie started out on to the sidewalk outside of Y/N's dorm building. The once-hot September sun had now turned into a cool, light sunset. The light shadows of the leaves on the Oaktree fluttered on the soft, green grass. A light breeze blows through Y/N's hair. She and Connie are making light conversation,

"What's it like playing hockey and being one of the only girls on the team?" Y/N asked.

Connie had to take a second to think,

    "It's a lot of fun, for one thing, my boyfriend's on the team. So, that means I get to see him a lot. Julie and I agree that it's like having a bunch of protective older brothers, they always make sure that we're safe."

Y/N nodded,

    "That sounds nice, I'm the oldest in my family so I've never had that kind of thing with a brother."

Connie nodded,

    "Me either, I'm an only child. But I'm glad that I can call them something more than just my teammates."

    "Connie!"

Both girls look straight forward at someone coming their way, a girl with long, dirty blonde hair.

Connie waves her down,

"Julie! Come over here!"

Julie picks up her pace, with a slight smile on her face.

    "Julie, this is Y/N Y/L/N. Y/N, Julie Gaffney."

Y/N holds her hand out for a handshake, Julie accepts.

"Nice to meet you! Connie told me that you guys are both on the JV hockey team?"

Julie nods,

    "Yeah! I'm one of the goalies."

    "That sounds like a hard job, I could never do something like that." Y/N chuckles.

Julie nods, again.

    "Oh, yeah. It's definitely not an easy task, but I like to say that I'm pretty good at it."

Connie shakes her head,

    "Stop being so modest! Julie is an absolute beast, you should come to watch our next game!"

    "I'd love to! When do you guys play next?"

"This Friday, hoping to kick some ass!" Connie blurted.

Y/N chuckled at Connie's response.

    "I will most definitely be there!"

Julie takes a look at her watch,

    "I gotta go, guys. I'll see you later, Connie. And it was really nice to meet you, Y/N, see you Friday!"

Connie and Y/N wave goodbye to Julie and continue their stroll down the rest of the campus.

The girls make their way inside the student center.

    "Wanna get a coke or something?" Connie asks.

Y/N nods,

    "Sure! I hope you have money, cause I'm not paying."

Connie rolls her eyes and chuckles,

    "Yeah I do, let's call it even for the prank call to Fulton. I'll pay for your drink, and you promise not to take revenge on me?"

Y/N squints at Connie,

"Mmm, I'll think about it."

The girls snicker to each other.

    "I'll go find us a table real quick."

Connie nods,

    "Coolio, I'll be over in a second."

As Y/N searches for a table, she collides with someone. Unfortunately, they also had a small basket of cheese fries, getting hot cheese all over her shirt. She looks up to meet the cheesy slob who ruined her shirt. Her eyes stop at their shirt, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

 "You've got to be kidding me."