i'm feelin' all the warmth of the sun

hey!!! this is actually my first time ever writing cooper and travis, so if it's ooc, i apologise,,

prompt; "a goose took my fucking sandwich but you brought extra and want to share with me."

this oneshot is not sponsored by untitled goose game

word count; 1,384

━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━

cooper sighs, running a hand through his already messed up hair, watching the goose run off to its friends with his sandwich. he'd just wanted to sit at the park for a while, eat some food and enjoy the sunlight, but of course something had to happen. he sits back against the wooden bench, tapping his foot against the concrete in annoyance. he wishes he'd brought his skateboard, but he hadn't thought of it in the haste to get out of the house when his roommate told him his girlfriend was coming over.

he closes his eyes and tilts his head back, taking a deep breath and letting the sun warm his face. it really is nice outside - not too many clouds, it's not too hot, and the park isn't too crowded, which is pretty chill. he should probably go outside for his own enjoyment more often, but he hasn't really had the time to, what with juggling uni classes and his job.

cooper's too wrapped up in his thoughts to notice someone sit down next to him, until they clear their throat, snapping him out of his thoughts and turning to look at them. he smiles, a little confused at the sudden appearance of the stranger, but they're not unwelcome.

"uhm, hi," the stranger says, and his heart lurches. the guy's voice is adorable. seriously, how the fuck can someone's voice be this goddamn cute? he's saying something, and cooper snaps himself out of his thoughts to tune into what he's talking about. "-noticed the goose kinda took your food? and i brought an extra sandwich, so i'd be willing to share if you want it?" he says, and cooper blinks.

"uh. sure, i guess? unless you've, like, poisoned the sandwich or something and i'm the first victim in your serial-killing murder spree." he chuckles, and the guy giggles, shaking his head, curls bouncing along with the motion. "it's a joke, don't worry. my name's cooper." he holds out his hand, and the other takes it, shaking it gently. his palms are soft - another cute thing about him, cooper thinks - and smiles.

"i don't think you heard me say it before, but my name-a travis." cooper laughs - he can't help it, really - and shifts on the park bench, turning to fully face travis. "here, i'll get it for you. it's peanut butter and jelly, i don't really think you should eat it if you're allergic to peanuts." travis digs into a brown paper bag, pulling out a sandwich neatly wrapped up in saran wrap.

"eh, if it makes ya feel better, i probably would eat it if i were allergic, i'm fucking famished." cooper huffs and travis pouts, crossing his arms in a way that absolutely should not be cute but somehow, somehow, manages to be. cooper takes a bite of his sandwich, looking down at it to hide his red cheeks, and travis works on unwrapping his own, peeling the crust off of it and throwing it to the fucking goose that took cooper's original sandwich.

"hey, don't feed that fat fucking piece o' shit!" cooper shouts indignantly, startling both the animal and travis, who turns to look at him, an amused smile on his face. "that's the fuck that stole my sandwich, trav!" the goose reaches forwards and takes the crust from travis' hand, and he jumps, letting go so it doesn't bite him. he and cooper both sigh in relief when the goose waddles away, finally leaving them alone in peace to eat. travis nibbles on his sandwich, occasionally glancing over at cooper. the silence seems a bit awkward, so he turns to ask another question.

"so, what do you do?" at cooper's confused glance, he clarifies, "like, d'you go to school? do any special hobbies?" he pulls his hood up and tugs at the drawstrings, averting his gaze out to the lake behind them as a group of teenagers pass by. travis is always sort of awkward around younger people, afraid they'll point out his imperfections, but sitting with cooper is kinda fun. he hasn't said anything bad about him yet, which is already great.

"i skate a lot! i'm a student in usc, though i attend classes online most times. it's kinda fun, but being cooped up in the house all the time isn't good." he ignores travis' snicker at the unintentional name pun, though he does crack a tiny smile.

"i'm a student there too! i do classes physically, though, so no wonder we hadn't met yet!" travis giggles. "i major in art, 'cause art is fun and it's an excuse to get my roommate to finally wash clothes, which is a plus. 'n i'm also good at it, so! what do you major in?"

"i major in finance. it's not really that fun, but it's something i've always been good at, y'know? i'm really good at math, so it jus' kinda made sense. but it's what i'm happy majoring in, so i've absolutely no complaints." he smiles, and travis grins back.

"that's perfectly fine, dude! you do what makes you happy, that's all that matters, right?" at cooper's nod, he reaches out and pats the brunet's shoulder. "so, you skate? doesn't it hurt when you fall? how can you, like, keep your balance 'n stuff?"

"i really got into skating when i was twelve, i think? been skating for almost a decade now, dude," he chuckles, "but it's like- the more you do it, the more you learn how to balance and not fall, and if you do fall, to, like, fall in a way where it doesn't severely hurt you, i guess. it's also something i'm passionate about. i stopped for a while, though, because i broke my arm in the eighth grade trying to skate down stairs," travis laughs, clapping a hand over his mouth and shaking his head.

"i- that's so funny, i'm so- i'm so sorry for laughing-" he muffles giggles into his palm, face flushed from laughing. cooper smiles, waiting for travis to calm down before he continues. his own cheeks burn, thoughts racing around in his head, most of them containing the words travis and adorable and pretty. travis gasps for air, tears springing to the corner of his eye as he laughs, trying to collect himself. cooper find himself laughing too, and soon they're laughing together at fourteen-year-old cooper's pain.

eventually, though, they calm down, breathing in deeply and wiping tears from their faces. cooper leans back, letting the sun beat down on his tear-stained face. he sighs, turns to travis with a grin. "i'm havin' a lot of fun here with you, dude," he says earnestly, running a hand through his hair and brushing his bangs from his face. he's being completely honest - this is the most fun he's had in a while, and they've only known each other for a few hours.

"yeah, me too, coop," travis pats cooper's hand and smiles. "oh- i have an idea!" he pulls out his phone and quickly taps in his password, opening the contacts app and passing his phone to cooper. "put your number in! we could maybe do something like this again, if we have the time to!" he suggests, clapping his hands excitedly as cooper taps, then hands the phone back to travis with a smile.

"i'd love to meet up again, trav. i'll message when i'm free and we can set another meeting up," cooper tells him, standing and stretching. his own phone buzzes in his pocket and he pulls it out, reading the text with a frown. "sorry, trav. i hate to cut this short, but my roommate needs me back there, he's fucking blitzed." travis blinks, grins, nods.

"yeah, of course! no need to apologise! it's okay, really. like you said, we can set another outing up soon! and i have your number, so we can keep in contact! i'll see you soon!" he stands up too, watching as cooper smiles.

"yeah, dude! i'll be sure to text. i'll see ya soon, trav." cooper says, turning to walk away, waving back at travis with a smile. the warmth of the sun beams onto him, burning at his skin, though he doesn't mind, thoughts of travis ready to keep him warm throughout even the harshest winters.