take out the wind, there's not a sound

take my monster cooper cooptrav with some implied jokomason and sam + logan content please and thankies

this was planned to end on a date w them but im burnt out and already writing a cooptrav park date thingy so uh.....  take this half baked idea

no cws for tonight lads

title from roma - szymon

prompt; "cooper is the monster underneath travis's bed and one day, when cooper is about to scare him, travis invites him out to talk, and they become better friends."

final word count; 2.5k

━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━

cooper isn't the scariest looking monster, but he somehow gets his job done.

not that he really understands his job, since, one day, he was taken from his lovely home under the sea and plopped down in a child's room, then taken to a grown adult's room, told to lurk under his bed and scare him whenever he gets the chance. cooper misses the ocean, misses the water and swimming, but there's a lovely thing called a bathtub that can fill with water and a thing called a swimming pool that can also fill with water.

that's a joke, by the way. cooper knows more about the human realm than he usually lets on, and his job is to simply scare the human inhabiting the bed and just vibe. his name is travis, he's twenty, very easily scared - weird, since he loves horror movies and some horror games, and he's kind of softish? cooper doesn't know the word for it. he's never gotten a good look at travis, didn't even know his name until a friend of his – eric, he thinks his name is, but travis calls him swagger sometimes – called and was talking to him. the only thing he really knows about him is that he goes to school for cyber security.

cooper hears the familiar creak of travis's feet on the stairs and grins. speak of the devil (think of the devil? does it really matter?). after a few moments, the door swings over, and travis sighs, flopping down on his bed. he sounds.. tired? sad? cooper almost feels bad for what he's about to do.

he scoots himself over to where he's just barely covered by the bed and reaches an arm up, a cold, slimy, and scaly hand closing around travis's ankle. he usually jumps immediately, maybe even screams, but today he doesn't. it makes cooper confused- has he done it so much that travis isn't scared anymore? is he having such a bad day that he's not processing his emotions correctly?

"you do know you're allowed to come out from there, right?" travis asks, voice quiet, and cooper freezes. his hand is still clasped around his ankle, loose enough that travis can easily pull away, and he reluctantly slides out from underneath the bed, sitting up cross-legged and looking at travis curiously. "my name's travis," the brunet says, "what's yours?"

"cooper." he answers, clearing his throat. travis hums in response, nodding quietly. he looks quite tired, cooper notes, pretty much dead on his feet. curly brown hair is greasy and sticking to his forehead, hidden underneath a dirty white hoodie, fingers red and rubbing his sore wrists, eyelids drooping tiredly over red-rimmed hazel eyes. "not gunna cap, you look like you're actually going to fucking die if you don't sleep." travis makes a noise, chuckles softly, shrugs.

"long day at work. i honestly do wanna go to sleep but i can't, not this early." his eyes are on cooper, looking over the monster. there are scales freckling his face, long, yet blunt, fingernails and fins where his ears should be, he's got a tail like a little fish and beach blond hair that falls in waves, stopping just above his shoulders, pretty blue-green eyes and sharp teeth lacing a gentle smile. he doesn't look scary for a monster. travis has probably come up with worse-looking imaginary monsters in his spare time.