it's too cold, woah, for you here [c.t]

idfk what this is pls take it
its kinda bad but yk what fuck it <\3
i havent written them in forever i hope this is ok <33
dedicated to -joshers- i love u sm <3

pairing ; cscoop/cooper + traves/travis

prompt ; cooper likes the cold.

fic title from ; sweater weather - the neighbourhood

━━━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━━━

cooper likes the cold.

he likes the way it makes him feel, when it soothes his overheated skin, but sometimes he hates it all the same.

he hates when his fingertips are frosted blue, when it gets harder and harder to breathe in because the air is frozen, when being outside is so cold it's painful, because it makes his friends worry and he doesn't need that, but it dulls his brain and freezes his thoughts before they can come out and he's grateful for the snow. it snows every day, and every day he sits outside.

who cares if he may get sick? who cares if he returns, frostbitten? who cares if he becomes hypothermic? is cooper worth being warmed up? does he deserve to be warm, to bask in heat, to let it burn his skin?

he asks himself that question a lot. he certainly doesn't - as shown by him continuing to leave in 8.6 degree weather to sit outside and let it slowly infect his brain - but does anyone else?

probably not. his friends have all ditched him, everyone except for travis (does he still count?) has left and never returned unless they want something. his skateboard is broken and lying in a pile of ash and wood in the backyard, his streams seem to flop every time he even starts it, and with nothing to make him happy, he's stuck between freezing to death and asking for help.

and what happens if he does ask for help? do his friends come back? is his board magically fixed? is travis no longer ignoring him? are his streams of better quality?

what fucking happens?

he asks himself that question a lot, too.

cooper likes the cold, he tells himself, tries to convince himself. he likes the cold, but he doesn't know if it'd be too much sometimes. it was never too much before, but the more he deals with it, the more he thinks it's something he could handle before, but just can't handle as much now. the cold sucks sometimes but then again, it feels good to freeze.

cooper hates heat. he hates heat waves and hates when his skin burns, he prefers freezing over thick, sweltering air, and he doesn't understand why.

snow slowly drifts down, landing on top of dirty blond waves and flitting teasingly in between his fingers. the tips of his fingers have turned a pale blue, he's shaking and he knows he is, but he cannot bring himself to care. standing outside in the snow, only wearing a t-shirt and shorts, he knows he must look absolutely retarded, but it helps. it helps him get out of his mind sometimes.

cooper is alone, isolated against his will, he desperately craves the touch of another human; he wants a hug, he wants to feel warm again, he wants to feel warm.

the person that made him warm is gone now, though, and he might never return.

travis may live in the same house as cooper, but they currently aren't on speaking terms. it's cooper's fault, he doesn't even attempt to deny it. the argument was entirely on cooper, because he neglects and mistreats himself, and travis is worried.

"you don't need to be fucking worried about me!" cooper shouts, trembling and sniffling, and travis flinches, but he couldn't be bothered to care. he knows, rationally, he's being an asshole, but he doesn't care. "i'm a fucking adult, trav. i don't need your pity, i don't need your worry, i don't need it!"

there's a pause. cooper steps forward, reaching out to touch travis's shoulder, but the shorter man steps back, his glare toxic and yet sad all the same.

"you don't need me, cooper?"

"wait, no- that's not what i meant, i promise-"

"that's what you said. and if you don't need me, take care of yourself. then i won't worry about you so much."

and with that, travis turns and walks to the door, his hand hovering over the knob. without turning back, he says, "you should take a hot shower. you'll freeze to death." cooper scoffs, and he can see the pain on his face before he goes inside and shuts the door behind him.

cooper sits down on the cold, hard ground, letting droplets of rain chill his skin more than it already is. he's so cold. all his warmth has left.

what did he just do?

he shakes away the scene, shivering in the cold. the snow comes down harder, flurries swirling around him, and it becomes too unbearable.

he needs travis.

he stumbles inside and wipes at his face, unsurprised that his fingers are numb and twitching without his consent, closing the door with his shoulder as he wraps his arms around himself, shivering. "t-travis," he tries to call, but his voice is weak and shaking.

he leans against the wall, moving further into the house, his vision is blurry but he knows by heart where travis's room is. his hand drops down onto the doorknob, twisting and shoving the door open.

travis sits on the bed, warm and cozy, wrapped in his comforters, and although his eyes are red and he looks confused, he looks up at cooper and brightens. holy fuck, he's missed him so much. he looks like home, like a place cooper can sit and warm up beside, like someone who can take care of him.

cooper was wrong.

"i'm s-sorry," he stutters out, teeth clicking together with how much he's shaking, "i n-need you, i need you so much, i didn't m-mean to hurt you, i-"

in an instant, travis is beside him, a beacon of warmth to heat up his frostnipped body. his hands are hot, trailing fire across his exposed skin as he grips tightly onto cooper's shirt and hugs him firmly. "it's ok, coopie," he murmurs softly, his breath thawing cooper's freezing limbs, and with a stuttered sob, after moments of not moving, his quivering hands drop and circle around travis.

travis makes him so warm.

the shorter man manoeuvres cooper to the bed, laying down and pulling the blond on top of him, in a firm grip that cooper sighs shakily at, nuzzling deeper into the comfortable warmth travis emanates. the brunet runs a hand through cooper's hair and smiles down at him, summer sunshine and cozy fire that burns cooper's heart, and he manages a shaky smile back.

there's silence.

"i need you too, coopie, so much. i missed you, i'm- i'm sorry for being angry with you, and i didn't mean to run away-"

"n-no," cooper cuts him off, sniffling and digging his nose into travis's neck, "it's my fault, ok? i-i was so cold, a-and it felt like i wasn't worth being w-warmed up, y-you make me warm, a-and it was all s-so confusing, y'know? i-i need you, i w-was wrong, s-so wrong."

travis sniffles, and cooper realises he's crying.

"i-i'm sorry, wait-" he stumbles over words, but travis cups his cheeks and gently brushes his nose against cooper's, happy raindrop tears sliding down his cheeks.

"you're so worth it, coopster, i love you so much, i'll be here for you whenever you need me, ok?" he murmurs, sweet and saccharine, and cooper believes him.

cooper likes the cold, but he loves travis and the warmth he gives more.